Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

catch-22 situation over school break? anyone else?

(7 Posts)
Triggles Mon 30-May-11 11:07:39

DS2 is finally off school for a week now. I would love to be able to take him somewhere and let him play or run around or just go somewhere. (read that as "get out of the house!!!") But now that he's free to go places, so is everyone else - which means all the places that would be good to go are crowded - and so DS2 doesn't tolerate them well or cope with the large groups of people.

So... basically now that we can go somewhere, we can't go anywhere...... hmm

Is it just me? Or are others dealing with this as well?

devientenigma Mon 30-May-11 11:12:42

I deal with this every day even on school days. Some of the issues why ds won't go to school.
Facebook is my lifeline.

anxietyexpert Mon 30-May-11 18:52:09

I deal with this all the time with two children. It has a lot to do with anxiety and crowds. Try going in to large groups for only short periods of time and slowly increase the time. Research systematic desensitation on the internet. Best of luck

Marne Mon 30-May-11 20:13:21

Yes, we have the same problem, this is dd2's first year at school so last year it was a lot easier (i could take her out of nursery during term time). Both dd's have ASD and now they are getting older its so much harder to take them out. In the easter holidays i attempted to take them somewhere, dd1 was ok but dd2 couldn't handle the crowds and the noise so we ended up going home early. There are a few places we can just about manage, i try to take them to the beech when the weathers not too hot (less people about) and we try and go very early to places so by the time it gets over busy we can go home, some parks are ok (plenty of space, not too many children) or a walk through local foot paths (so they can run around a empty field or have a picnic with no one around).

Have you got any friends or family that you can visit? Luckily half term is only a week and we have a few things going on ( a visit to friends house and a party on friday) the rest of the week will be spent in our garden or at the park.

SuburbanDream Mon 30-May-11 20:26:48

I know the feeling! Just had horrible day at home, DS2 (Aspergers) being mean to everyone, especially DS1 and the cat!! My aim is just to survive the week! Sorry, not very constructive but just wanted to let you know you're not alone smile

Triggles Mon 30-May-11 20:33:33

I understand the idea of systematic desensitisation, however, when he is only out of school for a week, it's not horribly workable.

Marne - yes, we're going to an ASD support group get together, visiting MIL, having OT appointments, going into town to buy Barbie & Ken (to add to his toy story toys collection grin), so a busy week really. Here's hoping he gets through it relatively well. Lots of appointments for various family members and errands to run. Always seems to be that way when they're off school, doesn't it?

davidsotherhalf Tue 31-May-11 10:21:10

i used to take dd out of school 1 day a term to take her to theme park or somewhere like this, as dd couldn't cope with lots of ppl and noise. i was honest with school and told them why, they knew dd couldn't cope with crowds etc (excluded from all school trips/camp etc) we had to plan school holidays at least a week before and put a plan (timetable) up on view i had ds2 with asd ld....ds3 adhd....dd1 asd, apd,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: