Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Are these two related?

(6 Posts)
bdaonion Sat 28-May-11 12:38:46

Just curious really.

DD (4.11, SLI) has never been interested in drawing or colouring at all. We've always made sure there were plenty of supplies at hand and encouraged her to have a go, but other than an occassional scribble she really did not want to know. I wasn't surprised when I was told that her handwriting skills are 'weak'.

She moved to a school with a language resource attached after Easter and we have noticed a leap forward with her language use (not entirely sure if that is attributred to the school at this early stage or a natural stage in her development, or both!), and definitely a reduction in her overall anxiety levels. Coupled with this, in the last couple of weeks she has become a prolific drawer. She's no Van Gogh, perhaps more of a Picasso, but we can see progress in her skills and she is drawing what can be indentified as a dog, mouse, cat etc with different shaped ears. Today she drew a picture of herself climbing up a slide.

I'm wondering, is this just a naturally linked stage of development? has the progress in her language opened up her imagination a little more, and she is now able to translate these thoughts to paper? Or is this just coincidence and I should stock up on Blu-tak regardless?

IndigoBell Sat 28-May-11 12:49:04

Well done little onion!

No idea if it's related - but I bet it is smile

(Interesting that she drew herself on a slide - doesn't she hate them?)

bdaonion Sat 28-May-11 12:54:47

They aren't her favourite activity- well she likes to come down the the slide but not climb the steps to get there smile - but I think she drew that because her new school has a slide in the playground.

Actually the ladder she drew had a LOT of rungs so she is either conquering her fear or externalising her anxieties.... confused I'll try not to read too much into that....

blueShark Sat 28-May-11 18:44:45

can't answer the question either but really GREAT news!

perhaps as her anxiety has reduced in the new school there was more room for the imagination to come out and her interest in drawing developing?

sneezecakesmum Sun 29-May-11 22:16:28

How wonderful for you all! I am sure there are links to language, imagination etc. In fact all sorts of skills are linked in ways a bit difficult to fathom if you are not a child psychologist! smile

used2bthin Mon 30-May-11 08:37:26

That is amazing. I'd say its related too although don't know how. Great though, and a very unscientific guess, maybe something to do with parts of the brain developing and allowing other progress. As you said really!

My Dd is very similar age and also has SLI and isn't keen on drawing etc, her hand coordination isn't that great but she loves slides and anything physical, I always thought the reason she was behind with the small motor stuff and creative is she never sits still long enough! But can see she also just isn't "there" yet in terms of imagination so that is interesting to hear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now