Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS aged 4 can communicate some, but much of his talk is absolutely incomprehendable, why do they do this?

(9 Posts)
yukoncher Sat 28-May-11 11:55:41

Me and DH used to joke 'oh my gosh, we've figured it out, our child is foreign!' it would be the perfect explanation.
Much of his talk is nothing like anything. Maybe you'd expect very poorly pronounced english, but this is not even english.
I think he's created his own language.

He needs to also stuff a load of sounds together that are similar to words, and pause quite seriously for me to answer him, so he takes his talk seriously, it's not necessarily play.
It's as if he's enjoying immitating language in general, not necessarily English, though.

Anyone else experience this with their kids?

yukoncher Sat 28-May-11 11:56:39

He tends to also...

bdaonion Sat 28-May-11 12:05:06

My DD (4.11, SLI) will do this too. I think the correct term for it is jargon? It is like she knows that the sentence ought to be a certain length so fills it with sound when she doesn't have the words. She also has an issue with word retrieval, and I think this helps give her time to find the word she is looking for (much like we use 'er' or 'um'). That said, she has made great strides in her language lately and the jargon is dropping away.

yukoncher Sat 28-May-11 12:18:38

It's so interesting, yes it must be jargon.

It's about the same lengh as a sentence, has a normal about of syllables per 'word' said in the right tones.
No idea what any of it means. And I mean absolutely no idea, and I listen carefully as does DH. It's nothing like english.

But yeah, DS is doing well too beside this. So I'm really proud atm.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Sat 28-May-11 12:23:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yukoncher Sat 28-May-11 12:33:56

Ah, hmm.
The few lines of English he knows have been very very rehearsed

CognitiveDissident Sat 28-May-11 13:37:15

I was going to suggest dyspraxia as well...

The 'jargon' thing makes sense; DS(also4, S&L delays) fills in his speech with gibberish/jargon/martian. It's of a similar length and has the same rhythm/phonemes as the missing words.

Your son may also have issues with auditory processing (Sensory Processing Disorder). He's hearing words correctly, but isn't able to decode the information. this also extends into auditory feedback from his own speech.

Then there are the verbal stims and tics...

oodlesofdoodles Sat 28-May-11 20:40:32

My son (4) does this too. I think he wants to engage and communicate but doesn't know what to say. He also makes up words that are approximations of real words. I take it to be a good sign that he's trying to get to get to grips with language.

used2bthin Sat 28-May-11 20:48:12

DD (4.5, SLI with severe word finding/memory problems) does this too although now less so as gradually some words are just about recognisable to me and people who know her very well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now