Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyones child "pass" the ADOS test but still diagnosed with autism.

(10 Posts)
logi Fri 27-May-11 23:13:49

As title says really.....my son had ADOS when he was 5 now 7 and passed it.

He was then referred to a medical team to be assessed over longer time and diagnosed with autism.

The nurse who did the test said although he "passed" she could see something wasnt right.

The psychiatrist he was referred to said it was because his speech was so good that he hadnt been dx before.

PipinJo Fri 27-May-11 23:36:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lisad123 Sat 28-May-11 00:08:01

dd2 failed hers but think if it was done by someone who didnt have indepth knowledge of asd, she likely would have passed

outthere Sat 28-May-11 09:35:14

Very interested in this thread as my DS has recently "passed" the ADOS but I'm still not satisfied that he doesn't have PDD-NOS.

The thing that bothers me about this test is that firstly it doesn't look at his ability to cope in a group of children. It seems to ignore the fact that if he is in a group he will sit in a corner and do his own thing for 99% of the time, he's simply not interested in joining in.

Secondly it doesn't seem to take into consideration that he has physical difficulties that can be related to ASD - particularly large cranium and low muscle tone for example.

It seems to focus largely on interactive ability which is one of my son's strengths.

My concern is that, if it's NOT ASD then what is it? I worry that teachers and other professionals will consider that there's nothing "wrong" with him if there's no specific diagnosis.

As far as I'm concerned no-one can have difficulties that profoundly affect their day to day living in this way and have nothing to diagnose...

bochead Sat 28-May-11 10:07:26

"As far as I'm concerned no-one can have difficulties that profoundly affect their day to day living in this way and have nothing to diagnose..."

Oh how I hear you! My sentiments exactly.

siblingrivalry Sat 28-May-11 10:54:19

Yes, dd1 passed-but was later dxd with AS. She basically passed because we had spent years teaching her about things like eye contact, how to have a conversation;etc. Even so, I would have thought it would have been pretty clear that she wasn't 'natural' IYKWIM?

However, a more experienced paediatrician immediately saw the AS and didn't have any hesitation in giving her the dx.

I always advocate trusting your instincts.

nicevideoshameaboutthesong Sat 28-May-11 12:23:25

yes, DD2 'passed' the ADOS in September 2010 and was dx HF ASD in November 2010... she was 23mo when she passed it, and 25.5mo when she was dxed.

trust your instincts.

myBOYSareBONKERS Sat 28-May-11 18:40:39

Sibling rivalry - i am going through this at the moment. I so hope I get some answers when we go to see the pead on Wednesday. On the last letter he wrote "social communication difficulties". Does this sound ASD to you??

myBOYSareBONKERS Sat 28-May-11 18:43:25

I think the worse thing was when we read the report and they had put - has got good imagination. Everything he says and stories he "makes up" are from what he has read in books or watched on TV. But unless you are very familiar with Starwars and Harry Potter this would not be picked up..

logi Sun 29-May-11 02:02:44

I think we were lucky that our DS nurse did refer him ...when he was being assessed again another nurse said they could tell within 5 mins he was autistic.

I know the ADOS seems to be good for alot of children but i knew it wasnt going to be for my DS.People needed to spend a little time with him before they could see what he was like.

Also with regards to "imagination" my son has he own job,boss,friends(often teddies) and lots more that he discusses on a daily basis and he has done this for a long time.

He often cant do something because "his boss" said he has to work or he doesnt need to do something because he has "had lessons" and he gives lots of detail to things he has done or places hes been.
We go along with him but sometimes im not sure if we should be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: