Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How long can the LEA defer their decision to carry out SA over the summer holiday?

(12 Posts)
moosemama Fri 27-May-11 16:05:14

That's it really - just a quick question from me. Well there has to be a first time for everything. wink

<<Listens for the thuds as everyone faint.s>>

IndigoBell Fri 27-May-11 16:26:32

From when you ask for a SA to when they decide is 6 weeks. And there's more than 6 weeks from now to the summer holidays.

So get your request in today.....

(I put my request in on Tues, and got a big pack in the post yesterday, and have till June 22nd to reply to it....)

moosemama Fri 27-May-11 17:09:49

Thanks Indigo, I know they have 6 weeks, but am trying to set up a meeting with the inclusion people to check the paperwork before it goes in and wondered what would happen if we can't do it with 6 weeks left to spare. If the 6 week deadline is only for their decision to asses, in theory they should still be able to keep to that deadline, but I'm sure they won't, citing staff holidays etc as a reason for deferring. So, I want to know how long they can defer for - I assume its the whole of the summer hols, but wondered if there's a precedent, iyswim.

Am a bit angry to say the least, as have been trying to get hold of them all week since they went in to go over the school's evidence, but its not their fault, they are overstretched and rarely in the office. I am not mad at them, just the flaming system - again!

Frustrating that I finally get an email this afternoon though, as they probably won't get my reply until after the holiday, even though I replied straight away. [we need a frustrated emoticon]

IndigoBell Fri 27-May-11 17:15:37

Request the SA today.

Then you have another 4 weeks to get the paperwork together for the parental bit.......

moosemama Fri 27-May-11 17:23:55

Do you mean just send the basic request for SA letter today?

We already have the frankly mahoosive form to fill in and add to - is there anything else in the pack you received?

IndigoBell Fri 27-May-11 17:39:46

Yes, just send the basic letter today.

Then they send you back a thing asking you for parental views and any reports you have.....

I didn't get any forms to fill in - besides something to sign saying I agree to her being seen by any profs that need to see her.....

Toppy Fri 27-May-11 18:03:51

just as an aside, our borough shuts down for the whole month of August wrt Statementing

yomellamoHelly Fri 27-May-11 18:49:12

? Was told our timeline excluded the school summer holidays. So heard nothing for months.

nicevideoshameaboutthesong Fri 27-May-11 18:52:10

our timeline excluded summer / winter hols.

get the letter in NOW today - there's enough time before they quit for the summer...

moosemama Fri 27-May-11 20:06:06

Thanks folks, that what I thought.

Our LEA have an enormous form to fill in with really indepth questions, each of which advise you to continue on another sheet 'or more if necessary'! shock <<wibble>>

We even have to sign to say they are having regular dentist and optician appointments!

sugarcandyminx Fri 27-May-11 20:21:27

Our SA process continued over the summer holidays - we had appointments with the paed and EP during the break. There is an allowance for the summer break in the SEN COP but the whole process shouldn't close - although I'm sure some LAs use it as an excuse to delay anyway.

The key thing is for the school to submit their views on time - other agencies shouldn't be affected by the summer holidays. Our school managed to submit their views quickly, before the holidays started, which meant everything ran on time.

moosemama Fri 27-May-11 20:39:23

sad Just had a huge bust up with dh because he wants to wait until inclusion says we have all the evidence before we send the letter and I want to sent the letter now.

I am now going to have to spend the rest of the evening educating him as to why we don't just take everything we are told by LEA employees at face value. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now