Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

LIGHTWATER VALLEY - exit passes

(11 Posts)
toof Mon 23-May-11 18:43:50

planning on taking 5 DS's, all with varying shades of autism and huge problems with queueing.

Ive had a look at their website, and apparently they dont accept DLA award notices as proof... so what to do?

It also mentioned that the discounted price was only for "those who cant use the full facilities of the park" - i take this to mean those who use wheelchairs.

The discount doesnt bother me as much as any queuing.

How has anyone else found it to be with kids with autism?

TIA XXX

5inthebed Mon 23-May-11 18:52:05

You need a letter from a professional stating that they have this problem. They should accept that.

toof Mon 23-May-11 18:56:46

do you mean like a GP (who charge for letters)?

Or another professional ie disability nurse, HV, surgery nurse?

i was also wondering if anyone had experience either way, and are these new rules?

smileANDwave2000 Mon 23-May-11 18:57:32

if they are being awkward try this you can get free passes for the whole family instead.

http://www.merlinsmagicwand.org/

smileANDwave2000 Mon 23-May-11 18:59:25

most seem to not accept dla letter they want one confirming a copy of your letter from the paed maybe but any prof who mentions it in the letter would suffice

5inthebed Mon 23-May-11 19:57:14

Do they have a paed? I usually email Ds2s paeds secretary and she is great, gets the relevent documents signed and sent out.

it is very annoying that doctors charge for letters.

lucyjadebeth Tue 24-May-11 13:35:37

hi, went to lghtwater valley with my daughter who has asd , her sister ,my nephew and my mum and dad , they were fantastic they gave my daughter a wristband so she could use the exit ,they also gave my other daughter a disability wristband so that if my daughter with asd ,did not go on the ride they could still use the exit so that my daughter didn't have to wait long for them !! we all had carers bands and they let me and my dad pay carers price . took a letter from hos consultant but to be honest they didn't even look, I just explained at the entrance and they took us round to guest services who were fantastic !!!would recommend it and there were lots of other families using them to, just got a few narky comments from other parents telling me where the end of the queue was !!!

Yes, yes just take a hospital letter.

We always use them sparingly but couldn't resist teasing a particular arsehole who complained repeatedly about us not having to queue for the very popular go karts, we still had to wait a while with my niece battering all of us

Anyways, we went on the ride, go off then said to him 'guess what ? we're going on again now'

We then followed him to the next ride and did the same again, skipping past him as he queued in fury.

Pathetic behaviour from us but it felt bloody good at the time wink

yukoncher Tue 24-May-11 19:00:56

hahaha Apoc, love it.
If people think the small few advantages SN kids get are unfair, perhaps they'd like the 18yrs+ of all the extra stress having a SN child involves, they wouldn't know what's hit 'em

Agnesdipesto Tue 24-May-11 20:09:47

We went about 2 years ago and they accepted DLA letter then. But they only gave one carer band so we could not take both DS on the ride together, one had to queue with one parent and one skip the queue with the other. Which was rubbish as we couldn't spend the day as a family.

toof Wed 01-Jun-11 07:58:58

Thanks for all replies

Getting each childs paed to write a letter will be very painful!!!

APOC grin love it!!!

Personally i would willingly swap the need for exit passes for 'NT'ness' (and the understanding and patience for queues) for the day, but thats just not going to happen.

And another thing... surely with the difficulties of every day, and everyday life, just getting the little buggers to get dressed/eat/keeping-them-safe-despite-their-best-efforts, we as carers are allowed a just a little tiny break in life? rather than it being a 'perk'? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now