Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help: Sandals with ankle support.

(12 Posts)
Galena Thu 05-May-11 11:48:26

Hi, we're just waiting for a diagnosis of CP (diplegia) for DD who is just 2. It's very mild as far as I can tell, mainly affecting the right leg and she also has very mobile hips and ankles - just to confuse everything! Today we had an appointment with an orthotist who is giving her insoles with 'knobbly bottoms' to try to relax her toes and stop her being so prone to toe-walking. Our PCT doesn't seem to offer piedro boots any more (they used to) or maybe it's just not for DD, but instead they've asked us to get footwear with good ankle support.

In the winter we bought some boots from Mothercare like these but the grey/silver girl version We bought them in size 2 and 3 so she could grow into the new pair. She's just into the size 3s now. Both her physio and the orthotist love them!

However, her feet are getting terribly hot in the weather we're having at the moment and so, whilst we could (and probably will) order a couple of pairs of the brown ones in sizes 4 and 5 we'd like to get her something less hot! The orthotist said that if we can find some sandals with support for the ankles and velcro straps over the foot, the insoles could be put in those.

Anyone know where we can get hold of some? I've had a little look and seen these and these but neither are ideal...

Sorry - long post, all help appreciated!

smashingtime Thu 05-May-11 12:24:58

I've just bought Clarks Doodles with the velcro straps for dd - they are a bit like the Mothercare ones with the red spots. She has very mobile joints and low tone/flat feet but physio reckons for hot days she should be ok with these and they do have some arch support. She doesn't walk great in them but I haven't found anything else light and supportive either! The Doodles come in width fittings which might help with the insoles? Good luck - shoes are the bain of my life too and not looking forward to the day dd wants to wear heels shock

chuckeyegg Thu 05-May-11 12:32:24

Found these here DS has very flexible joints and low tone and he has doodles too in the summer. They have been good for him too.

chuckeyegg Thu 05-May-11 12:35:23

Sorry just noticed her size these will be to big.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Thu 05-May-11 12:41:52

what they've basically described are piedros so try to look for something similar looking, I've seen these and these, they used to be a really trendy style a few years back but are harder to find now, typical isn't it!

EndOfTheRoad2011 Thu 05-May-11 14:13:59

hiya - we found a cheap and cheerful pair in Shoe Zone that our DD's insoles slotted into nicely and gave her support around the ankle. Not sure how to post a link on here but will give it a go

www.shoezone.com/Girls-Plimsolls-Canvas-Shoes-Sandals/White-Leather-Butterfly-Girls-Sandals/29273

xx

isw Thu 05-May-11 16:57:44

Lots of options here

Sorry cant do square brackets

www.schein.de/index.cfm?page=download/prospekte.cfm&m=6

FreakOfNature Thu 05-May-11 18:13:48

We're currently waiting for a referral for DS's feet, GP thinks he has hypermobile joints and his feet are flatter than pancakes. Getting summer shoes has always been a bit of a nightmare but we now go to shops that sell continental childrens shoes. www.ricosta.de/ This is the brand we currently buy, they are also, apparently, recommended by paediatric orthopaedic folk.

Ineedalife Thu 05-May-11 18:25:34

I was going to suggest Ricosta too, we have had them many times for Dd2 and 3 they are not cheap but are very supportive and lovely.

Galena Thu 05-May-11 19:25:12

Thanks all for these ideas - there are some lovely shoes out there! It's particularly great that some of you have the experience with the insoles and ankle support etc. I feel a bit at sea at the moment!

Thanks again!

charlie06 Thu 05-May-11 20:41:34

We have just been told our child's piedro boots are going to be stopped so thanks Ninja we can buy them ourselves now

vikingmumontherun Thu 01-Jan-15 02:39:07

Hi there

Just wanted to say thank you for the tips. My daughter has had problems with a her feet for a long time and wears orthotics. We have been to a podiatrist and several other professionals but its hard to find the right shoes that also look nice. We used to purchase birkenstocks but will look at some of the ones you have recommended. Many thanks to you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now