Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Tribunal over....what next???

(6 Posts)
sahs1969 Wed 12-Jan-11 15:51:22

Hi all,
Thanks so much for your well wishes yesterday-we have just got home-it went on for about 3hrs and to be honest the panel really made us feel comfortable-they really did drill the Senco and LEA women-and we had written a 5page report which I asked if I could please read out-which they really listened to and took notes-the Senco is no longer at our school-and had to say"well i can check that etc" when asked what was given at the moment.
I think we have fought the best we the wait begins.

What I wanted to know is what happens if nothing at all comes out of this????

Do we just have to sit back and wait for another 6 months and start all over again....can't bear to watch dd's self esteem hit even lower than it is now.

Thanks again,

jiggles01 Wed 12-Jan-11 16:51:37

No answer for you ,someone will come along soon,though I think it is 6 months.
But just wanted to say I`m glad you felt that they listened to you.
Not as bad as you thought then ? smile

StartingAfresh Wed 12-Jan-11 16:53:26

OMG, they made you do it? shock


No, you don't WAIT 6 months, you beaver down and collect evidence for 6 months, if it hasn't gone in your favour.

You should check the law though, I know that 'normally' you can apply for a SA the day after one has been refused, but I don't know how the tribunal thing affects it.

People don't reapply the day after because there would be no point unless crucial new evidence which would be unlikely, - but it might be that you don't have to wait the full 6 months.

Well done btw. As I said before, not everyone can do what you have done despite it being promoted as possible, - it really isn't.

sahs1969 Thu 13-Jan-11 04:53:16

Yes they made us do it!!!!
The LEA women was useless and basically all she kept saying was "We believe dd is getting enough support at school"!!!!
The Senco often coulden't back up her statements-was really made to look like she didn't have a clue what was being done, kept saying she doesn't know she would have to speak to the Head about that one etc etc.

I really felt quite relaxed once we actually got there-and felt that I had to give it my BEST!!!!

I will keep you posted of the results.....

But I would honestly encourage more parents to do this-we had no legal help at all....just support of a mediator over the phone.


sugarcandyminx Thu 13-Jan-11 11:13:33

Well done for getting through it!

It sounds like the LA were very poorly prepared and you argued your case well.

The only situation that I know of, where you'd have to wait six months, is if a SA had already been carried out - then you have to wait six months before being able to request a new SA. But as far as I know, there is no compulsory waiting period if a SA hasn't been done (but the decision is likely to be the same unless you have new evidence).

StartingAfresh Thu 13-Jan-11 12:21:01

sahs It sounds like they are using the tribunal process to ration provision, rather than because they believe what they are saying.

It sounds like the poor SENCO had been forced there by the LA without proper preparation.

It sounds like they are trying to send a message to parents that if they want a SA they have to go to tribunal in all cases.

I hope you can keep going with your message that it wasn't so bad and it's worth it.

Again, well done to you for not being intimidated and going through with it. It sounds like you feel hopeful at the outcome.

Fingers crossed for you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: