Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA Mobility component for under 3's

(8 Posts)
sleepysox Mon 10-Jan-11 22:34:47

I have already posted on this. But I was wondering whether anyone agreed enough with me, to respond to the thread in the campaign section:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_campaigns/1122237-We- need-DLA-mobility-part-for-some-under-3s

children who are under 3 often need special needs buggies due to having low muscle tone etc and needing lots of support for their bodies. These buggies are huuge and don't fit in the boot of an average size car and the mobility component can provide a car in some instances.

So I'm asking for your support to ask the government to look into each case individually, like they do with the blue badge scheme, so that children who need a special needs buggy early can also claim mobility.

DS has a sn buggy because he has low muscle tone amongst other things (he has a rare brain condition and associated conditions), he's 15 months old. We got given the smallest, lightest sn buggy on the market, and it doesn't fit into the boot of our average sized family car. Not to sound overly dramatic, but we have no way of transporting the pushchair around, as it doesn't fit in our boot, and can't go onto the back seat due to 2 carseats being there. It doesn't fit in our roof box either.

So, I feel there's sometimes situations where people with disabled kids under the age of 3 require the mobility component of the DLA.

Mumsnet have said they'll back this campaign if we get enough responses, so please could you consider giving your support and responding to this thread.

Herecomestheninkynonk Tue 11-Jan-11 11:43:02

Posted - please all, your support would be much appreciated

sleepysox Tue 11-Jan-11 19:06:28

Is there anyone else who agrees with our viewpoint who could sign?

sleepysox Tue 11-Jan-11 22:51:53

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm curious as to why not many people on sn have signed the campaign. I understand how parents of mainstream kids won't 'get it', but I thought people here would.

I'm genuinely interested as to why people don't seem to think it's important that kids who need a sn buggy earlier than 3 years are judged on an individual basis like the blue badge, for mobility DLA.

I'm not trying to force my opinions, I'm keen to know, but don't want to be flamed. So would you be sweet enough to let me know in a nice way why people might not think it's a valid idea. I'm too over sensitive these days and am nervous about asking, but my curiosity has got the better of me!

1980Sport Tue 11-Jan-11 22:57:45

I just posted on your campaigns post - apologies meant to do it before but got waylaid! Fully support thus campaign.

sleepysox Tue 11-Jan-11 22:58:48

Thank you- sending you a big un mumsnet hug

1980Sport Tue 11-Jan-11 22:58:53

Oops - this

1980Sport Tue 11-Jan-11 22:59:19

Fanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now