Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help !!! My sister can't get her ds out of the house, what the hell can she do ??

(4 Posts)

He has severe autism, is non verbal and has always had obsessions, they've got a hell of a lot worse, it started with chairs, he would come home and insist all the dining room chairs were lying down and spend ages positioning them, one night after hours of chair fiddling and my sis being hit by him when she tried to get him to bed, she flipped and threw the chairs outside, he ds immediately went to bed.

Her son obviously replaced the obsession, this time, standing on the window sill and tapping the window and has now escalated to taking so many steps, tapping, looking inside cups, takes a step back does so many steps to downstairs loo, flushing toilet so many times etc and so on, finally ending with standing on the window sill and singing a song to indicate he is ready to go. He starts the routine as soon as she puts his coat on to go, the whole process takes around two hours at least.

This is going to get worse as one of the windows had to be boarded up (he cracked the window sill) what the hell can she do ?? He hasn't been to school for a week also he was put on strattera a few months ago for hyperactivity/ his obsessions and imo it's really escalated since then

TotalChaos Sun 09-Jan-11 18:23:13

If it could be a meds side effect could she speak to doc who prescribed it, if necessary via secretary or gp to see what they advise about dose?

cansu Sun 09-Jan-11 18:24:21

Don't have any easy answers but my ds 1 has had very similar problems with going out and also has obsessions. He has improved in terms of going out since taking medication for his anxiety - he takes risperidone, which is quite a heavy duty medication and was prescribed via psychiatrist. of course, this may well be totally unsuitable for your nephew. This must be hellish for your sister though, and she will need to get onto her paed or other doctor to push for some help.

She won't, she hasn't even made an appt yet even tho we know all too well they can take weeks, she's doing my bloody head in tbh just thinks a solution will magic itself out the air, fed up with trying to manage my two and look out for hers as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now