Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

First IEP review after final statement

(13 Posts)
DameEdnaBeverage Sat 08-Jan-11 20:27:28

Would be interested for your experiences of what generally happens once sm has been finalised. I know that new IEP (with SMART targets) is supposed to be issued immediately hmm and thought that a full review would take place (with professionals?) to go through the provision. I get the impression that this is not what I will get so wanted to be prepared.

StartingAfresh Sat 08-Jan-11 23:40:18

Well, when I got ds' statement (From tribunal), the EP met with the SENCO a month later and did the IEP's of all the children that attend the school as a job lot, with no parents involved.

5 weeks later I eventually get a copy and am expected to sign it. I gave my ammendments but they said that it couldn't be changed now as they have already been working towards it hmm

tryingtokeepintune Sun 09-Jan-11 00:59:42

But they don't actually need you to sign it Star. We told them how un-Smart their IEP was, couldn't agree to it and it was issued anyway.

Sorry I can't really remember what happens after final statement but my experience is that it depends on the class teacher the type of IEP you will get. It is probably better to go in with an idea of what you want or think should be there - g. 1 for maths, 1 for literacy, etc. and how you would like it measured. Maybe have 4 or 5 targets? At least it will give you something to negotiate with. The first couple of years, I just went in and agreed to whatever they said because I did not know what to expect. Can't believe how naive I was.

StartingAfresh Sun 09-Jan-11 01:05:01

Well, I was certainly at the second IEP writing meeting and I wrote the damn thing.

But, I only got to do it by being OTT in my shirtiness with the school and relations are extremely sore as a result.

Why can't they just do things properly thereby not having to force parents into almost bullying tactics to get just what their ds' are entitled to.

My ds is also entitled to have his parents and teachers in a good communicative working partnership. How that can be achieved when they have had blatent disregard for guidelines and general good practice documents and then get defensive when parents show dissatisfaction is totally beyond me.

Ah well........................

A new term and all that.................

DameEdnaBeverage Sun 09-Jan-11 10:10:17

Last IEP was absolute rubbish. We were just given it across the table and there was minimal discussion - no positives mentioned at all. Ds was not advised of targets or able to contribute - chased this in Oct and was told he would be shown it but nothing so far! Told HT I was not happy but no changes were made.Can't wait for next meeting to see what is on the new one. HT is well aware that I am expecting a good one with all Smart targets so perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised hmm. Since sm in place things have been going from bad to worse (ds excluded and threatened with further exclusion)and I am really worried that they will not provide all that is required.

ArthurPewty Sun 09-Jan-11 10:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DameEdnaBeverage Sun 09-Jan-11 12:00:45

Hiya Leonie (I used to be fightingwink).

School initially told me not to bother as I wouldn't get it,then said wait until Oct/Nov as it would still leave plenty of time to sort out school place hmm. So glad I ignored them as I would be stressing even more if I hadn't got it. They haven't been anything like as bad as your school but I get the feeling they think we're so grateful at getting sm that we aren't bothered what happens in next 6 months!
I really don't want the relationship with them breaking down but I know they/Senco won't take criticism easily. There are also other factors which I can't disclose here, which could cause all manner of problems if we fall out. Also worried that if I complain they might do less to help ds sad

tryingtokeepintune Sun 09-Jan-11 12:29:57

Dame I complained at the end of last academic year and things got really bad. They started putting in measures so that ds can be excluded.

This year, new teacher who is trying very hard. School has decided to accomodate us - a lot - because I have now said that I intend to move ds. Parent Partnership said they have never seen a school fight so hard to keep a child smile. TA is now tied to ds. In the past, when TA was ill, ds had to cope without one - now they get a relief in. This also applies with lunchtime help. Ds refuses to go to school some days so we are often late but they are trying to do everything they can to help him. HT is now very friendly and makes it a point to talk to me etc.

My point is that sometimes complaining helps -even if school is trying so hard just to stop me moving ds.

ArthurPewty Sun 09-Jan-11 12:32:46

DameEdnaBeverage Sun 09-Jan-11 12:38:42

Leonie - can't believe you have that in writing - I'd be looking at other school's if they told me that!Lol at Cbeebies looky-likeysmile

Trying - Glad things have got a bit better for your ds. When I have written into school concerned about things such as bullying,self-harming etc I am told that I am upsetting the staff. Doesn't give me much confidence that help will be forthcoming. We shall see -I will try to remain optimistic.

ArthurPewty Sun 09-Jan-11 12:41:25

DameEdnaBeverage Sun 09-Jan-11 12:54:04

That's crap sad

tryingtokeepintune Sun 09-Jan-11 15:01:07

Leonie - I can't believe you have that in writing. Can you complain to the governor's or someone?

Dame they only got a bit better because I am still trying to move him to a unit ie. it will cost more and I guess HT and LA wants to keep him in ms because it is cheaper - also matter of pride for the school.

I know of 2 in ds's class who found school so unsupportive they went private.

I just think the balance of power is wrong - am thinking free school is a wonderful idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now