Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SALT question - assessment

(15 Posts)
StartingAfresh Thu 06-Jan-11 12:24:58

1) Why did I get a note today saying that she has done the PLS3 but needs to complete the expressive because ds wasn't focussed, without telling me in advance she was going to even do it?

Is it:

a) Standard practice. Informing parents in advance that they are assessing their children is generally not done.

b) Tactics to ensure we don't get a private SLT to assess before the Statement Review beginning of March?

c) Neither. The SLT is just bonkers and thought ds was in a good mood and up for assessment?

2) What happens if her assessment shows that he doesn't have any of the skills displayed in the last assessment?

Is it:

a) She reports that he was too distractable to assess?

b) She reports that the previous assessment must have been wrong?

c) She reports that ds has regressed?

Any clues anyone?

Many tia

StartingAfresh Thu 06-Jan-11 13:17:29

Guess no-one knows!

StartingAfresh Thu 06-Jan-11 19:15:49

Evening shift?

negligentmummy Thu 06-Jan-11 19:18:38

afraid i can't help- our salt has never even mentioned PLS3- should we raise??

StartingAfresh Thu 06-Jan-11 19:26:12

It took me AGES to get any assessment from a SLT. They kept making excuses. Since we because tribunal parents they've been handing them out like sweets!

I think it is a bit off she didn't ask permission, but on the otherhand it would have been off of me to have refused so I'm not entirely bothered by it, just I'd rather he had therapy, not assessments.

Honestly, she left it 6 months to the day since the last assessment, so it must be more than a cooincidence?

ArthurPewty Thu 06-Jan-11 19:34:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Agnesdipesto Thu 06-Jan-11 20:35:45

Yes our SALT did an assessment a few weeks after tribunal without asking too....

StartingAfresh Thu 06-Jan-11 20:39:15

Guess it is just standard then! confused

If she is unable to complete the test because ds is not complying (highly likely) that still means he can't be assessed again within 6 months doesn't it?

I mean otherwise he'll have seen the tests and remembered them etc. regardless of whether he 'performed'!?

moondog Thu 06-Jan-11 21:09:33

I wouldn't read too much into it.
It would be logistically impossible for me to contact and inform every paretn of the 100s of children i work with that I was going to assess, in whatever way i was (ie informally, formally, some aspects)

moondog Thu 06-Jan-11 21:10:32

..meant to add each and every time i do.

What would you rather someone do?

Assess or intervene?

Assess or inform of intent to assess.

There are soooooo many people to see and so little time.

StartingAfresh Thu 06-Jan-11 21:18:54

LOL, - I'm not cross about it honestly. Just was a bit surprised.

Assessment is a key part of intervention. I'm well aware that I can't on the one hand complain that they aren't keeping data and on the other hand get cross when they do.

It's just my experience of getting SLTs to assess has been like getting blood out of a stone so I'm a bit confused as to why, and why now.

But ds get's a MASSIVE amount of SLT (relative to his needs - although I hasten to add, not unncessesary) so perhaps the only difference is that she has had the time.

moondog Thu 06-Jan-11 21:23:49

If she has allotted time to your child (as is probably the case and certainly isn't with 95% OF KIDS WHO GET salt, THEN YES, SHE WILL HAVE THE LUXURY OF (oops) being able to do things that she would never be able to otherwise.

The hardest thing about SALT is juggling the time you have as a SALT with the needs of a huge number of people.It gets you down tbh.

StartingAfresh Thu 06-Jan-11 21:32:22

I dunno what has happened tbh.

His statement says 30mins weekly to be copied by TA 3 times a week.

What he gets is 60mins weekly and then strategies to be set up in the classroom 25 mins twice weekly.

It's all very strange indeed. Could it be that she is down on her caseload and thought she'd front-end ds' therapy?

mariamagdalena Thu 06-Jan-11 21:40:22

Am I hallucinating, or is this the same SLT who knew what needed to be done, and accepted your help in figuring out how to get ds to do it? Cos if so, I'd say just ask her.

StartingAfresh Thu 06-Jan-11 21:44:34

Yeah. She's been alright. Thought we had good communication etc. That's partly why I am surprised, but this was his first session back so perhaps she just decided over the Xmas period so no time to notify.

But it will be a long time before I can shake my paranoia and mistrust. Her boss was very nasty about me at tribunal. These people and their work exist in context don't they.

But you're right. I can probably ask her when I next get to see her (although this is only 2-3 times a term). I don't want to put it in writing. It looks critical. Suppose that was why I was just asking on here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: