Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autism

(8 Posts)
AuKy Thu 06-Jan-11 10:03:03

Hi out there to anyone feeling new and a bit lost after an autism diagnosis.

I am a parent to twin boys (7) with autism and also co-editor of a very groovy not for profit magazine, called AuKids. It's designed for parents of young kids with autism and offers impartial, practical and upbeat advice.

We have a team of experts working with us and are very well connected. My co-editor is a speech and language therapist with more than 10 years experience of working with kids on the spectrum.

Hardly anyone knows about us, because we're small and friendly and don't work for a profit, so have no marketing budget.

But the parents who do subscribe (£10 a year) absolutely love us - we've been running for 2 years and have only had one complaint - that the mag needs to be bigger!

We are also endorsed by the National Autistic Society who are helping us to get the word about.

So if you'd like to find out more look up www.aukids.co.uk New website coming soon which will help parents to meet up with others in their own area (very funky sophisticated new design).

This magazine came about because as a parent and former journalist I couldn't believe the lack of information available post-diagnosis - it was very isolating and a steep learning curve for me. Decided to do something about it.

Hope you like it!

StartingAfresh Thu 06-Jan-11 12:44:27

I like your name, concept and website but you're a little bit naughty posting here!

sickofsocalledexperts Thu 06-Jan-11 12:48:05

I would love to subscribe, how do I do it? Go on the website? I think another magazine is needed, as to my mind the one on sale in WH Smiths (Autism Review , I think it's called) is so biased towards bio-med as to be completely unhelpful in looking at the bigger picture of autism. In fact I would call that mag advertorial rather than editorial.

StartingAfresh Thu 06-Jan-11 13:12:58

Isn't that Autism File that you mean?

Toppy Thu 06-Jan-11 21:09:55

I'm keen too - love your name. Good luck and I know its a bit naughty for you to post here but I am glad you did wink

AuKy Mon 13-Jun-11 15:25:55

Hey guys, look we're not for profit, I'm not making any money by posting here so as a moral sort of person I forgive myself...

Subscribers just help us to cover our production costs.

www.aukids.co.uk for anyone out there who is sick of being preached at or sold unproven remedies. All our info is practical and unbiased. We are a fun mag. Our parent readers also chat to each other via our website.

wendihouse22 Mon 13-Jun-11 17:14:55

I found a link to your site today by chance. I was checking out possible outreach services and it just popped up. Liked it and will go back and look at it more closely.

dietstartstmoz Mon 13-Jun-11 18:04:16

I'll check your website and magazine out, thanks although i think your thread may be pulled cos it's advertising.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: