Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

sore knees

(8 Posts)
Tiggles Tue 04-Jan-11 19:39:51

I'm not sure whether to post this here, or under health, but hopefully someone can help .
DS2 was always a very clumsy toddler, he walked slightly on the late side - 1st steps around 17months, but was ALWAYS falling over. He always had massive lumps on his head, and the HV referred him to the doc to see if there was anything the matter. She didn't think he was flat footed and couldn't see anything wrong with the way he walked - small surgery room and he only had room to shuffle forwards slowly. So doc said she assumed he would grow out of it. Anyhow after personally observing him for a while I realised he tended to walk with one foot in front of the other and therefore literally was falling over his own feet. I think the school (where DS1 was) were slightly wary over the number of times we arrived to pick up DS1 with DS2's head covered in blood and in need of cleaning up blush. Until he had been in early entitlement for one morning and had got a massive lump on his head whilst in their care grin.
Anyhow, he is now 4, and doesn't fall over anywhere near as much, but he has been complaining during the night about having sore knees/legs. I am not sure if this is real - he isn't the best sleeper and is very good at trying to get out of going to bed, or if he really does have sore knees. IF he does have sore knees is it likely to be related to his clumsiness?
Any comments or ideas greatly appreciated.

1percentawake Tue 04-Jan-11 19:53:40

Could be growing pains as can cause lots of pain apparently. Another possibility may be hypermobility in his joints which would explain the clumsiness? Can also cause pain.

Ineedtinsel Tue 04-Jan-11 20:12:23

I think you should check out hypermobilty too, also get his muscle tone checked.

I would go back to the GP and insist that he is checked by someone.

TheArsenicCupCake Tue 04-Jan-11 20:25:41

I was going to say get hypermobility checked.. All 3 of my dc's and myself have it to one extent or another and have suffered from aching joints and legs/arms.

Tends to be more after more excerise taken through the day.

Ds1 when younger walked with one foot in front of the other and tripped himself up a lot!
As it turned out his pelvis is slightly forward and he has hypermobility ( mild) in his knees.. And as he got older the tripping up sorted itself out.
Makes his a very good climber these days Nd doesn't stop him skiing or surfing either!... Although he runs a bit oddly

anyway.. Worth getting it checked out.. And we find wrapping limbs up in a fleecy blanket, using a heat pad and some calpol helps at nighttime if it's bad.

Tiggles Tue 04-Jan-11 20:38:15

Thanks all I'll take him to the GP.

As a slight aside and been meaning to ask about it for ages as seen so many threads on it - hypermobility...
DS1 (AS) has very weak fingers - couldn't do the activity things as a toddler where you push buttons etc to make things happen as his finger joints just bent backwards. Finds it hard to hold a pen for same reason. Is that hypermobility? He is trying to learn cornet but needs 2 fingers to push down a valve.

1percentawake Tue 04-Jan-11 20:54:10

Yes that sounds like hypermobility. Is weakness/laxity in the joint. It may also be accompanied by low muscle tone too. Occupational therapy can help if affecting him too much. Does he hold pen with 4 fingers/too tightly? This is how my DD holds her pen. We are working on strengthening her joints and she also has OT.

Tiggles Tue 04-Jan-11 21:01:43

He holds a pen very oddly, and yes too tightly - I got him some pen grips which work a bit at home, at least he gets the grip right, but he refuses to use it at school. To be fair his writing is improving slowly, but he still struggles to write neatly for any length of time.
He did have OT for a while before we moved,and he had all the sessions for the big muscles (sorry mind gone blank on the name), but we moved before they got onto fine motor skills. When he had his assessment they presumed all his issues were a confidence/self esteem issue - he refused to even try and write in the assessment as he knew he couldn't do it.
Maybe I'll talk to GP about more OT for him when I take DS2 along .

TheArsenicCupCake Tue 04-Jan-11 21:09:42

Yup very much sounds like hypermobility

ds1 has it in his fingers ( they bend very strangly still and he's nearly 16!).. He uses foam pencil grips to help with writing.. And has a very odd grip!

His joints effected are knees, ankles, wrists and fingers..

He is okay on hips shoulders etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: