Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statutory Assessment - Two Applications?

(5 Posts)
RockinSockBunnies Tue 04-Jan-11 12:24:14

I'm looking for some advice as regards an application for assessment from the LA.

DSS is autistic, school is very supportive and we're finally at the stage where all the relevant documentation (School Action, School Action Plus reports, medical reports etc) has been collated in order to send to the LA to make an application for DSS to be assessed, with the hope that we will get one-to-one support for him in the school.

Anyway, problem is that DSS's mother is adamant that the school makes the application, not the parents confused. Despite the fact that if the school applies for DSS's statement, then there's no appeal if LA refuses, she is insistent that they know best. She also has a very acrimonious relationship with DP and is willing to ignore all logic and refuse to co-sign the application with DP.

So, does anyone know what would happen if DP makes the application to the LA, with all the evidence, and the school makes one separately, again, with all the evidence?

Alternatively, has there ever been a good outcome where the school has applied, rather than the parents, and the statement has been effective?

cornshilk007 Tue 04-Jan-11 13:06:37

Just dend your application off - how will she know who has applied anyway?

mompa Tue 04-Jan-11 13:35:21

Hi I applied - as a parent- along with both of my DS's settings. I spoke to the case officer who was named on letter from LA when I recieved confirmation from them and they said it would not confuse matters. I am working on the assumption that if they do refuse to assess I will have right of appeal so may as well apply. Good luck

RockinSockBunnies Tue 04-Jan-11 14:42:25

Thank you for that. She will know as ideally, the letter asking for the assessment will be signed by her and DP. But I'm glad that if DP sends it off and the school does too, then it won't create massive difficulties with the LA.

sugarcandyminx Tue 04-Jan-11 15:02:27

Just to clarify, parents still have the right to appeal even if it's the school that applies and the LA turns them down. But generally I think it's better for parents to apply as then they're taking charge of the process from the start, plus schools can be quite hesitant about applying and can delay it for weeks/months.

If both parents and school apply at around the same time, both requests get merged and the LA shouldn't get confused. The date of request starts from the earlier letter - so it's worth parents applying first just to get the clock ticking, even if they know the school is going to apply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now