Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ds1 age 12 offers insight using toy story

(8 Posts)
jellyhead Mon 03-Jan-11 19:20:29

Today ds1 and ds2 and I watched toy story 3. They both have ADHD but ds1 also has ASD.
He watched the scenes where Andy plays with his toys using voices and imagining scenes.
Ds2 does that alot and ds1 said I never did that did I?
I said no, he had toys but he didn't PLAY with them.
He said he wished he'd known how to.
I remember when he was little thinking he couldn't have ASD because he played with imagination whilst he was sat there moving toys around not knowing what to do.

sad

Ineedtinsel Mon 03-Jan-11 19:24:51

Bless him.

Dd3 [8 no dx but probably ASD] often gives the impression of a great imagination when she is playing dolls or playmobil, but if you listen carefully she is always reinacting something thathas happened to her.

Her games follow the same pattern mostly but she does get pleasure from playing like this.
Maybe your Ds was doing some of this when he was younger, don't feel bad.

jellyhead Mon 03-Jan-11 19:33:05

Thanks INT
You are probably right and he did enjoy what he was doing it's just with hindsight I realise it was on another level with him and me and dh just didn't 'getit'
I shouldn't watch Toy Story they all make me a bit of a wuss

I cried first time I saw this at home knowing neither of my girls will ever do this I used to love pretending as a child

Ineedtinsel Mon 03-Jan-11 20:01:46

The thing is though lisad, they don't realise that they are missing anything. Dd3 is happy when she is playing her way. Dd2[15 NT] was very creative in the way she played, but I wouldn't say she had more fun, it was just different.

Dd3 uses her play to work through tricky situations sometimes, I have heard her being a teacher, doctor, childminder, mum. She replays situations she has been in to help her sort them out [I think], but she definatly gets pleasure from doing it.

Spinkle Mon 03-Jan-11 20:06:23

My DS does that too.

Sometimes he surprises me though. He got a white flannel at bathtime and hung it over the edge of the bath and told me it was Angel Falls (we'd been looking at picture of waterfalls on the internet).

I think they can do it but that it comes along later.

TotalChaos Mon 03-Jan-11 20:12:46

Lisa, u never know, my ds was worlds away from imaginative play at three and four, but now he is nearly seven he does the play like andy. Of course sometimes there is no way to figure out what is copied and what is spontaneous...... But especially with dd2 it may well come

jellyhead Mon 03-Jan-11 22:25:57

Total chaos is right lisa your girls may do it later.
ds1 has imagination and ideas now it was just his preschool days when he didn't 'play'
It is just the memory of me sitting him down surrounded by toys I chose for him and thinking he was perfectly normal.
Now he can tell me what he was thinking at that time and how he didn't get it but he now has insight into it and shares it with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now