Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Chewing stuff for AS children

(5 Posts)
Mumfun Sat 01-Jan-11 13:38:17

Hi

DS does a lot of chewing- it was on his hands, nails and anything he could pick up. He has a lot of sensory needs.

No we have bought him Chewy tubes , a Tween Bling necklace from Moms Smart Jewelry and re allowing him some chewing gum it is getting a lot better.

He chews his pencils to death at school (age 7) I have been looking at Pencil Toppers as I think they could help a lot. Has anyone got any recommendations - the ones sold by the Sensory University in the States look good but they havent replied to my email and dont seem to ship to UK except on ebay where the costs are very high. Has anyone got any recommendations for chewable pencil toppers?

Or any other recommendations for a chewer? He is seeing an OT soon so hoping they can help.

By the way I recommend anyone doesnt buy the Chewelry brand necklace and bracelet set - sold by Sensory Toys and others. It is very hard, itchy and uncomfortable -DS refused to wear it. It also has no release mechanism at all so I think both necklace and bracelet are dangerous.

Marne Sat 01-Jan-11 15:41:42

I am a chewer (possible ASD), i used to chew everything when i was younger (pencils, clothes etc..), i still chew but not in public grin, i find straws are good for chewing smile.

HelensMelons Sat 01-Jan-11 16:16:37

My ds2 is a chewer, the only thing that seems to replace this is chewing gum. HIs teacher in school has even suggested allowing him a chewing time in school to help. He's not very keen though because chewing gum is against the rules but he can have a little chew at home.

mrz Sat 01-Jan-11 16:25:04

Tri Chews

Mumfun Fri 07-Jan-11 18:24:27

Anyone else have any recs especially re chewable pencil toppers?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: