Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

respite/sbc

(6 Posts)
devientadventenigma Tue 28-Dec-10 18:41:28

I am dreading tomorrow. DS is due to go to respite for 2 nights. He has become a recluse and won't leave the house and won't go to anywhere he doesn't want to go, hence why he's never been to school etc.
Last few times he was there he has been picked up by a regular carer (1 he has had since being 3)taken to her house and picked up by taxi.
I had a phone call from her today to say can I drop him off as she is ill, which is fair enough.
I get homecare support to help get him dressed, which prooves impossible, so already not looking good. Then what if I can't get him to leave the house.
I have already told him he's going to the carer but not to respite, however he said no. Not that I am looking at the negatives, just trying to think of strategies...............

TotalChaos Tue 28-Dec-10 19:10:48

Sorry got no practical advice just hope you can get him to go tomorrow

cansu Tue 28-Dec-10 19:17:48

Have had these kind of struggles. Ds used to be mega anxious and also became a semi recluse, only going out to school. He improved on medication and will now go out to a select few places. I eventually decided that I would get everything ready and in car, then put him in car and gave him picture of respite place. He would grizzle a bit but was OK once there. If I give him too much notice he will refuse to go. might seem a bit cruel, but I really need two nights off every month. Good luck tmoro

wendihouse22 Tue 28-Dec-10 19:38:33

Good luck to you. I expect that by the time you eventually get him there (if you do), you can't appreciate the respite. It's so hard.

My son's ten. Has autism and OCD and is very socially isolated. He only goes out to go to school. We don't get respite as we don't qualify but I'm not sure how I'd feel about him going. He's SUCH a home body!

I hope this gets better for you.

purplepidjbauble Tue 28-Dec-10 21:28:59

Can you do a visual timetable for him? I expect you've already tried, I know you're close to the end of the tether sad

If not, maybe draw a picture of him looking happy in his outdoor clothes, then him looking happy in the car, then looking happy with the respite carer and you waving from the car.

It only needs to be stick figures with identifying features. I did one for a guy I work with the other day, and identified him by his moustache and me by my long hair! It seemed to work though...

Good luck xx

devientadventenigma Tue 28-Dec-10 21:38:51

thanks, really must highlight, my son won't go to school either.
Can, just wondering what meds is your ds on?
He's also on anti b's and a tad ill, so don't even know if they will still have him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now