Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'Is' ASD or 'has' ASD?

(32 Posts)
sarah293 Tue 28-Dec-10 18:18:59

Message withdrawn

nightmarebeforechristmas Tue 28-Dec-10 18:19:46

I get you Riv
I have never got it, so hope someone can explain

siblingrivalry Tue 28-Dec-10 18:22:26

I always say dd has AS. It doesn't define her, it's just part of who she is.

TBH, sometimes I don't even like to say she has it, because then it can sound like an affliction.

I'm not sure, really, if there is a 'right' way to put it.

sarah293 Tue 28-Dec-10 18:25:26

Message withdrawn

cornsilkcornedbeefhash Tue 28-Dec-10 18:26:42

yes 'has' ASD

Marne Tue 28-Dec-10 18:29:04

I always say 'my dd's have ASD', or 'my dd's are Autistic'.

signandsingcarols Tue 28-Dec-10 18:39:35

I agree, i think describing someone in terms of being their disability is usually lazy professionals IMO.

There is an exception, if the person concerned is making that choice for them selves, (I have seen Deaf people refer to Deafies and Hearies, but that is more about marking difference as both are seen as different but equal, and it is about people deciding for themsleves.)

DH (and I) do refer to his disabled person's railcard as his 'wonky discount' card blush and the disabled person's and older person's swimming session as the wonky and wrinkly session, but I see that as his choice...

ArthurPewty Tue 28-Dec-10 19:19:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lostinwales Tue 28-Dec-10 19:24:25

Riven is this the one with the same name as my DS1, if so please tell me yours doesn't also have red hair or we may be having a Dr Who moment. We seem to have the same child!

sarah293 Tue 28-Dec-10 19:28:40

Message withdrawn

lostinwales Tue 28-Dec-10 19:33:35

Thanks, but in a moment of organisation I managed to get all my acronyms into just the one child. DS1 is, deep breath, DCD (or dyspraxic) ASD and ADHD! And he is still the easiest of the three to parent! I also have three red heads, so although I love looking at photo's of your gorgeous DD2 I'm good for gingers in this house!

lostinwales Tue 28-Dec-10 19:40:20

Sorry I've confused myself now, I always say he is dyspraxic. Somehow to me that seems correct, but he has ASD. I think possibly because he is physically affected by the dyspraxia, kypho-lordotic spine, hyper bendy (sorry temporary word loss there) and poor muscle tone. Hmm, I'm going to go away and have a think now. What do you say for DS2?

StarlightWonderStarlightBright Tue 28-Dec-10 19:40:20

So in what context could the word 'autistic' ever be used? Or in your opinion is it obsolete?

StarlightWonderStarlightBright Tue 28-Dec-10 19:41:57

And does someone 'have' ASD, or do they 'have an' ASD.

For example, if ds had a social communication disorder, do doesn't have social communication disorder.......

confused

LunarRose Tue 28-Dec-10 19:56:41

hmm... I would say "DS is autistic", is that describing him as his disability?

confused

StarlightWonderStarlightBright Tue 28-Dec-10 20:00:55

I say ds is blond, right handed etc.

5inthebed Tue 28-Dec-10 20:02:32

I say both, either DS2 has autism, or DS2 is autistic. Don't see the harm in either of them TBH, but I don't think it "works" for all SN.

You wouldn't say X is downs syndrome, it just sounds silly.

silverfrog Tue 28-Dec-10 20:15:53

I often say d1 is ASD.

She is.

for her (I feel, obviously), her autism is so pervasive, she really would be a different person without it (I mean personality wise)

it seems to us, as her parents, that there are lots of things we are working on with her - SALT (she has a severe language disorder), OT, social skills - always chipping away at thigns we can change/teach her/move on from.

But she will always be autistic. It is an intrinsic part of her. Her very act of being is autistic. There is not a single facet of her that is not autistic.

ArthurPewty Tue 28-Dec-10 20:22:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LunarRose Tue 28-Dec-10 20:24:00

silverfrog - I totally agree actually...

eatyourveg Tue 28-Dec-10 20:26:23

you cannot be a disorder, you have it, you are you first and then this affects you although I suppose you could argue it is apart of who you are.

EG ds2 and ds3 are autistic because they both have an asd, one has the disorder of classic autism the other has a non specified disorder associated with the autistic spectrum.

That's how I look at it anyway

TheArsenicCupCake Tue 28-Dec-10 21:23:46

Ds2 has asd/as .. As he has blonde hair and blue eyes..

However there is a certain aspect of being asd.. Without being.. He wouldn't be who he is.. Although he isn't a disorder/ condition .. It's a hard one for us.. But we tend to stick to has.. Because itsan added aspect to who he is rather than just being who he is.

For me personally.. I am dyslexic, I have hypermobility.. I am an artist .. I am a mum.. I think it's how you feel about the different bits that make you who you are.. It personally doesn't bother me that I am dyslexic.. It's a small part of me.. And I'm certain that the different processing bit I have adds to who I am.. But I'm happy with all the parts of me.. If I had issues with having dyslexia.. Maybe I wouldn't feel okay about saying I am.. And would say I have instead?

And if you understood that you haven't had a glass of wine!

mariagoretti Tue 28-Dec-10 21:43:46

Oh dear, I never thought I'd be a grammatical pedant but that's why 'is asd' irritates me.

Autism is a noun, as is autistic spectrum disorder / asd, therefore you 'have' these conditions.

Autistic usually is an adjective, so is something that you 'are', amongst other ways to describe you. So, "He is autistic" is not necessarily offensive, to me anyhow.

Now, aspie... I can't work out how that fits in. Adverb? Adjective? Noun? All three? It's not even in the dictionary and my fashionable 1980s schooling didn't include enough formal grammar for me to figure it out.

sarah293 Wed 29-Dec-10 09:44:44

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Wed 29-Dec-10 09:54:52

I can see what people mean by the grammar of is ASD not working (and it does grate with me, when I think about it!)

I suppose I use ASD as a shorthand when typing instead of autistic (which I always manage to spell wrong, and have to go back and correct (even though my typing is atrocious, and I usually leave any errors anyway confused)) so that is also partly why I end up typing dd1 is ASD...

interesting point about dyslexia/dyspraxia, Arsenic.

I have always though t of those as things that people "are", and always heard people using them that way (I am dyspraxic/dyslexic), until last night when talking to my stepson.

He referred to himself as "having elements of dyspraxia", and it sounded really clumsy, and tbh, as though he was a little in denial (dss is 19, his sister is/has AS, dss has always been a little disparaging about disability - I think he doesn't like the fact that actually he has issues too, and it seemes as though he was trying to distance himself form it all, which of course it is his right to do if that is what he wishes)

I think overall, the way I see it, is simialr to the way amber talks about it, I htink - all to do with a different wiring in the brain. not better, not worse, just different. and somehtign that is very much an integral part of dd1, and even if (when!) we manage to get her alnguage to a properly functioning level, and her motor skills all ironed out, and have addressed her sensory issues, she will still be wired differently, and see thigns form a vety different perspective. And that is why I see it as "dd1 is ASD.

Of course she is much more than "just" ASD. As I am much more than lefthanded, or English, or Catholic, or any number of otehr labels I could give myself which describe me to the core - I would be a different person without them, they are absolutely central to my being and identity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now