Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My friends twins have a serious allergy to milk proteins...what can they eat?

(7 Posts)
woolyxmastree Mon 27-Dec-10 22:36:56

After months of throwing up and being unwell they finally have a diagnosis, anyone got any tips/links to help them out?

bigcar Tue 28-Dec-10 10:23:27

I'm sorry I have no idea, have you posted on the allergies board, I'm sure they'd be able to help.

silverfrog Tue 28-Dec-10 11:19:02

what age?

avoiding milk canbe tricky (it is a "hidden" ingredient in many many foods) but it is possible.

does your friend want them to have a milk substitute? there are various soya/rice milks available but they have their cons as well as pros.

calcium is a concern (how much of a concern depends on their age) but it is possible to find ways around this - either by substituting for a different "milk" (the soya ones are often fortified, for example) or by supplementing with vits/minerals.

you can even get around that by extra calcium rich veg etc - opinions differ on how much calcium is vital to our diets anyway.

free from sections in major supermarkets will have products to fill most gaps, but do be aware that they contain a lot of filler substances too, and are not always that healthy.

cooking form scratch and knowing what goes into foods is often the best way to be sure about stuff.

reading labels is the way to go, along with knowign what you are looking for - eg whey powder, butterfat etc.

if the twins are very small, and not yet weaned, her doc should be able to advise on a hypoallergenic formula for them - I don't know about these, sorry, as dd1 went dairy free from the age of 2 (and by the time I had dd2, I kind of knew what I was doing, was able to breastfeed, and so never needed them)

auntevil Tue 28-Dec-10 11:57:28

Allergies board - under the health section - is the best place to post this. Tons of parents on there with CMP allergy.
If it's a severe allergy, get paediatrician to give a comprehensive list of all dairy by products that are to be avoided. Many products that are calcium enriched for example - cereals, have calcium derived from dairy. Other items that are a bit tricky include bread - again calcium enriched.
See you on the allergies board!

woolyxmastree Tue 28-Dec-10 16:51:36

Thanks everyone.

They are six months and it is a severe allergy cant even have soya, its the proteins found in milk they are allergic too??? They have a formula from the docs but looking for a bit more variety in the weaning diet. They do have an appointment with a nutritionist but could be a bit of a wait for it to come through, so I thought Id ask on mn. I will post on the other board.

silverfrog Tue 28-Dec-10 20:23:43

casein is the protein found in milk.

there are a couple of books written for the gf/cf diet (obviously, this lady does not need to worry about gluten free)

google Marilyn Le Breton (sorry, on ipod, so no links)

she has written a very comprehensive book on how to be various things-free

(nt written form a weaning perspective, though, as her children were older when she changed their diet)

I ahve found it invaluable (although it is a little dated now) along with the AiA cookbook

pippop1 Thu 30-Dec-10 19:03:13

Might find it useful to look at Kosher food (from Kosher delis. Waitrose also have quite a lot online).

Jewish people don't eat milk products after meat so there are lots of adapted foods. Think there are some babyfoods too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: