Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

help me potty training shall i give up? :(

(10 Posts)
lisad123isasnuttyasaboxoffrogs Mon 20-Dec-10 16:25:49

attemoting yet again to potty train dd2. We are at the end of day 2 and getting no where. Only time she asks for potty is when she has already wet herself
I have washed sofa covers 3 times already, the carpet 4 times and lots of cleaning of wooden floors. Lost count of how many accidents, must be close to 16 now

Do i just give it up and try again over spring? DD1 was late trainign but cracked it by end of first day.

BriocheDoree Mon 20-Dec-10 16:46:31

Oh blimey, took weeks to train DD. Then it just clicked one day. She was about 3.5
How old is DD2? Does she show an interest?
Certainly it's easier in the spring, depends on whether it suits you to try now.
Can you get a waterproof cover of some sort to go over the sofa? We have a leather one which was easier as it just wiped off! Also don't have carpets, which helped...

lisad123isasnuttyasaboxoffrogs Mon 20-Dec-10 16:56:09

shes 3 year3 months but has ASD. She is very pleased that she is wearing knickers but thats about it, she just doesnt care.
Weeks! really? we cant even get one wee in the potty, how will we manage when we have to leave the house?
covers not possible as both girls have sensory issues, we are using towels atm

starfishmummy Mon 20-Dec-10 18:20:07

I'm still trying with DS. He's 12.
He just told me he accidentally pooed on the floor - completely bypassing his pad. I was on the phone and although I was in the same room I suspect it was because he didn't have my undivided attention. OPf course he them bum shuffled across the rug. Its a cheap Ikea one - every so often I just replace it.
This week was supposed to be a no nappy week, we'd discussed it and he seemed quite keen (I'd put it off today as he is out tomorrow at the panto and didn't want to start then revert back iyswim).

Good luck

MrsMagnolia Mon 20-Dec-10 19:53:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lorrikeet Mon 20-Dec-10 22:05:44

hey Lisa... only day 2 and she is asking for the potty after she's weed.. that is pretty good. she obviously connects wee and potty. she obviously knows what's expected. this is brilliant!!
for goodness sake don't give up after only a day or two; keep at it... get a bucket of biological to soak wet things in and a bucket of whatever and a cloth handy to mop up the mistakes... you are surely on the way. ...
give yourself a break from washing the sofa cover though: get something water proof ( ikea or john lewis waterproof sheets? or a picnic rug? or even a bin bag with a towel over) and put it over.

it took over a year with DS and I wouldve given up except for encouragement from other mums. still not perfect, age 6, but nearly there, which is all good.

zzzzz Mon 20-Dec-10 22:20:23

You have got to really beleive that it can work. We were on our 4th or 5th try when it finally worked. She will potty train, I would perservere. I say this purely because the saying just after is actually SO close [and yet so far for you] to success.
Can I say something that might keep you going? I was worried about ds still being in nappies. I knew at nearly 4 he was way behind his peers and that it was beginning to make him seem even odder than he is. What I hadn't realised is what a huge difference being in pants would make to how we treated him sadangryconfused. We love our son and he is very much part of everything that happens in our family. But post potty training dh and I both noticed seperately how much more we were expecting of him. How much more he could acheive, and how much less we were babying him. It was horrifying and eye opening and a very very good thing. I am much more vigilant about how I talk and feel about him now because I know that he can do more than we think and he will. I think that the single thing I would say is all the accidents/mopping/yik will be worth it, maybe like us more than you could imagine. Hang in there and keep your eyes on the horizon, this will be a thing of the past soon. I would give it a good week (without break) before giving up to try again in a months time.

auntevil Tue 21-Dec-10 10:24:54

I agree with zzzzz - pant wearing makes a huge difference, not only to how you feel about them growing up but how they feel too. That was one of the best pieces of advice the enuresis clinic gave me. Perseverance being the other one! If its any consolation i've been potty training my NT son since he was 3 and he's now 5.7 and we're not quite there yet - but the accidents got less and less, weeing was sorted out quite quickly. It will also help when going out as you will know you have a couple of hours grace before a likely accident and that can make a big difference to you all.
Are you putting your dd back into pullups at night? I found that by letting them have that safety net in the evening concentrated the mind during the daytime.
I also have a DS 3.5 who is nowhere near ready. He will quite happily pee and poo on request at our regular toilet breaks - but has no idea he is doing it the rest of the time - oh the joys!
Starfish - bum shuffle - lol - or rather it made me barf out loud!

lisad123isasnuttyasaboxoffrogs Tue 21-Dec-10 11:00:11

today seems better, she has got that look as if to say "um somethings happening" and lucky I have been watching her and managed to get her to the potty to do most of it
thanks for keeping me on track

zzzzz Wed 22-Dec-10 18:08:32

Lisa hope it got even better, fingers crossed for you all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: