Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Selective Mutism and diet

(3 Posts)
brachy Wed 15-Dec-10 09:47:22

My 5.5yr old DD was diagnosed with Selective Mutism and Social Anxiety Disoder nearly a year ago. She recieved Cognitive Behaviour Therapy though I don't think it had much effect on her...various reasons for that. Since the CBT ended we've had no help at all. We've started looking at her diet and wondered if there was anything we could do that might help.

Last week we started her on B vitamins and Omega 3 oils. I cannot believe the change in her in a week; last night she even sang in her school nativity play in front of all the parents. Normally she cannot sing in assembly without her anxiety 'twisting'.

I've read about mega doses of Omega 3- but what doseage is a 'mega dose'?

Is there anything else we could try?
Many thanks.

pinkorkid Wed 15-Dec-10 18:27:14

Just wondering if you've had any input from speech and language therapy?
Very interesting to see such a dramatic change with the b vitamins and omega 3 oils. Don't know much about them but would also be interested to hear from others who have tried them.

brachy Wed 15-Dec-10 20:25:36

She's under the SALT for phonological delay but not for the SM. She hasn't been signed off yet by the SALT, but we are now down to a 6 month review.

Tonight she had another nativity performance- this time she sang and smiled! In the last few months I cannot remember when she last smiled at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now