Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Omega 3 oils and behaviour

(8 Posts)
PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Tue 14-Dec-10 17:03:47

I vaguely recall hearing that Omega 3 oils can help improve behaviour problems. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out a bit more about this?

MadameSin Tue 14-Dec-10 17:31:37

loads of info on the web, but this website for hyper active children gives an overview of their benefits

http://www.hacsg.org.uk/page11.html

It's trial and error really, as sometimes it has an effect and on others none. My ds is dx with ADHD and it has made a difference for him with regards to concentration and attention. Good luck

imahappycamper Tue 14-Dec-10 19:25:09

It didn't work for my DS sad

sneezecakesmum Tue 14-Dec-10 20:08:46

My DS improved massively when artificial colourings, preservatives etc were removed from his diet.

IndigoBell Tue 14-Dec-10 20:51:04

I find Omega 3 oils helps my son. Makes him less stressed.

It's a pretty cheap experiment to try it and decide if it does or doesn't help your child....

Spinkle Tue 14-Dec-10 21:11:57

Yup - I'm sure they help my DS.

Even if they do not - still good oils to have in the diet!

Eveiebaby Tue 14-Dec-10 21:22:17

Does anyone know if the eye-q capsules can be pulled apart. We have tried liquid which DD did not like. The paste type tubes were quite good and easy to mix into food but I found there was quite a lot of paste in one tube so it was difficult to disguise in just one pot of yogurt. I have been thinking about the capsules but DD would not be up for chewing or swallowing them so just wondered if anybody had pulled them apart and added to food.

dietcokeandwine Tue 14-Dec-10 22:01:03

Yes, we do. Well, we don't add to food, but DS (6, ASD) will not chew or swallow the red capsules either, so what I do is snip the ends off them with clean scissors, squeeze the liquid onto a medicine spoon and bin the capsule shells. DS takes the spoonful quite happily as long as he has a 'chaser' of juice to swig down immediately afterwards!

We've also renamed the capsules as 'Strawberry Juice' in our house - sounds much more palatable than Omega 3 or fish oils (DS very sensitive to whether something 'sounds' appealing or not)!

He has been taking them for over a year now and I've definitely noticed an improvement in listening and concentration, which are two of his key difficulties. Admittedly the improvement could also be down to general maturity, finding his feet at school and so on, but like spinkle I work on the basis that taking the oils will be doing some good regardless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now