Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Im a fantastic parent because.....come and explain

(23 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Thu 09-Dec-10 15:47:28

Message withdrawn

purplepidjbauble Thu 09-Dec-10 17:07:59

Please may I be a fantastic carer because I discovered this week that a 50 something year old resident who has extrememly limited motor control loves cooking? (I figured that as he loves eating cake, he should contribute to making it lol)

Or is it parents only, in which case I'll butt out?

shaz298 Thu 09-Dec-10 18:08:10

I'm a fantastic carer because after 5 and a half years of keeping my DS alive any which way I could,including feeding him powdered chemicals otherwise know as tube feed I have started feeding him REAL food via his tube and it is a HUGE SUCCESS.

The down point is I should have done it earlier!!

Come on folks there are loads of you out there who are all fantastic.......get typing.

xxxx

NatalieJane Thu 09-Dec-10 18:13:08

Umm, does 'I am a fantastic parent because sometimes I wait for them all to be asleep in bed before I start on the wine' fit in here?! wink

shaz298 Thu 09-Dec-10 18:13:52

I think so ...............lol

rebl Thu 09-Dec-10 19:13:23

grin NatalieJane

silverfrog Thu 09-Dec-10 19:19:56

Because I am considering taking my children to an amazing concert tomorrow nigth wink

actually, just wanted to add: Starlight, I have been there, done that, wrt gym-type classes. I took dd1 to tumbletots, for years, and it was jsut like you describe - lots and lots of hard work, and not even achieving "normal".

HOwever, some of my best memories of dd1 are form this class, such as the firs ttime she joined in tellign her "news" - the leader had asked her if she liekd singing, and dd1 sang, clear as a bell, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" - you could have heard a pin drop in a hall full of toddlers, and more than one parent had a tear in their eye. the leader had goosebumps, and counts it as one of her favourite moments ever, in 12 years of doing TT grin

She still attends Tumbletots, with a tutor form school now, and she is now at the point where her tutor can sit with the other parents, and dd1 goes around, like all the other children (who are 5, to her 6, so not a huge gap), and attends to the leaders, etc.

I never thought I would see the day, back when I was chasing her around, leading her back to tthe group, ignoring the tuts and glances,etc.

Persevere, It IS worth it smile

donkeyderby Thu 09-Dec-10 20:33:07

Because I can talk to my son from dawn til dusk and tune into his crazy mind. I have allowed myself to be a different person since having him with a much more inclusive attitude

woolyxmastree Thu 09-Dec-10 20:58:44

Because DD just told me im 'Special Fantastic', yesterday she said 'Mummys my best friend'. grin

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 09-Dec-10 21:12:24

Message withdrawn

Marne Thu 09-Dec-10 21:27:19

I am a good parent because i'm sat upstairs with dd2 who is poorly (but asleep) just incase she needs me and will probablly stay awake all night to check on her. Thank god i have my laptop with me and MN to keep me company grin.

I am also a good parent for keeping dd2 home today because i know she is not coping with all the christmas festivities at school.

On the down side, dd1 thinks i'm a bad mummy because i'm making more of a fuss over dd2 who is poorly.

mariagoretti Thu 09-Dec-10 21:40:13

I am a good parent because... I keep trying again to do better with the dc. And because I was brave and let ds1 have a friend over yesterday (and it went fine!)

intothewest Thu 09-Dec-10 22:01:15

I'm a good parent because I am taking dd(14
nt) and friends to a big gig in London next
year-to make up for all the times she has
had such a hard time with ds -and I would
like say what a brilliant dd she is with
everything she has had to put up with,
everything she does and what a brilliant
example she is to ds...which brings me back
to me..nature or nurture??!!....(YEAH,I
think nature too!!)grin

TheArsenicCupCake Thu 09-Dec-10 22:36:00

I am a brilliant parent because,

I will never lower my expectations for ds ( or ds1 and dd).. I will stand shoulder to shoulder with him for anything and everything until he can do it on his own.

And my boy used the word jealous today.. About how he thought someone else was feeling!!!
( does little dance!)

shaz298 Thu 09-Dec-10 22:45:13

Arsenic - here here!! Fab you put it into words. The hairs on the back of my neck went up as I read it. I'll join you on the standing shoulder to shoulder!! xx

blueShark Fri 10-Dec-10 09:55:21

Starlight - my DS was exactly the same when I first took him to the gymnastics class ad although he was best at jumping, swinging (you name it) he found it really hard to follow instruction and I constantly had to go in and encourage him to stay with the group. So I mutually agreed with the instructor we stop after 3 classes and try again after few months. That was last year and now that he is 4 I may try to enrol him again (thanks to silverfrog for the encouragement).

But what makes me a fantastic parent is:
1. I am frequently building a mini gym at home with tunnels, soft areas with cushions to jump in, turn over and he loves it!
2. We cook together his favourite spagetti bolognese meal and stews.
3. I never get tired of speaking with him, singing to him, playing with him, teaching him new things
4. I never get tired of reading books, forums, nagging professionals for more input and tips, nagging friends that with SEN for any kind of input that I can construct few exercises that he will find enjoyable and learn new things
5. I never get tired of going to the park by the lake and feed the ducks and chase the pigeons
6. I never get tired of taking him to Harrods so we watch the train displays
7. Trying to find anything (therapy, exercises, playgroup) that I think he will benefit from
8. I am a fantastic parent because I dont care that he is slightly different than his peers because he is so much better than them in slightly different way
9. I gave up my dream job, lost some of the friendships (probably not the best ones) so that I am SAHM and support him
10. The list can go on forever....I know I am a fantastic mum and I do everything for my DS because HE IS WORTH IT!

babyicebean Fri 10-Dec-10 11:20:51

I am a fantastic parent because I MADE jelly - Middle bratski had a party and I made stripy jelly and turned it out on to a plate AND it had jelly babies in it.I am apparently the coolest mum in the class according to her friends.

babyicebean Fri 10-Dec-10 11:23:11

She is a 'normal' child but her best friend who has various learning problems decreed this on the playground and wants stripy jelly for tea when she visits.

signandsingcarols Fri 10-Dec-10 18:13:08

I am a fantastic parent because I do not give up, I use the experiences I have gained to get the best for ds. I have grown a thick(er) skin to not care what others think. And I am a fantastic parent because I am trying to look after myself too...

All of you, all of us, are fantastic parents because we get up one more time than we are knocked down...

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 10-Dec-10 20:08:21

Message withdrawn

blueShark Fri 10-Dec-10 21:00:40

dont get me started on the guilty bit...you are not alone.

now CONGRATULATE yourself for being a fantastic mum and enjoy the weekend, your DS and the family!

LaydeeC Sat 11-Dec-10 15:19:11

I am a good parent because, despite feeling like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and the world's troubles in my belly, I get up again and again to fight my son's corner because he can't.
He needs me to be the best parent he can have and I will never, ever, let him down in a system that conspires against us.

pokhara Sat 11-Dec-10 20:25:13

I am a good parent because despite all his problems i recognise that he has a gift for sport so have started him in private tennis coaching, such a proud mummy when i watch him. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now