Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone had a referal to the Nuffield centre

(4 Posts)
janx Wed 08-Dec-10 19:43:27

Ds' speech therapist wants to refer him to the Nuffield Centre - anyone been? Ds has just turned 3 and has severe speech delay

beautifulgirls Wed 08-Dec-10 20:03:24

Yes, we are going through this at the moment with DD#1, seen there a couple of weeks ago and back to see someone else in addition next week for further assessment. So far they have seemed fab, though we don't have any reports as yet, but I definately felt comfortable that they were being thorough and doing their best to do things properly. Last time we were there for about 2 hours, me chatting to the consultant going through anything and everything, and DD#1 in the same room with a speech therapist having an assessment done. After that we went through for a hearing test to be done (a routine part of their checks, I didn't know they would be doing that, not that I mind) and then back to chat to the consultant about their thoughts, answer further questionst that had come up from their discussions while we had the hearing test etc. A week later the consultant rang me to discuss further and ask if I would be willing to go back up for another person to carry out some other checks on DD to try and get more information on what exactly we are dealing with, which is what we are doing next week. Not sure how far you have to travel, but it was a bit of a trek for us despite being not so far from London, but worth it.

janx Wed 08-Dec-10 20:05:55

Glad to hear you felt it was good. Luckily I am in north london, so very easy for me to get there - how old is your dd?...Is it more for assesment than therapy iyswim?

beautifulgirls Wed 08-Dec-10 20:25:12

She is 6y3mth now. We went because we don't have a diagnosis and whilst there is a strong suspicion of verbal dyspraxia she also has other issues. We don't know how much her other issues affect her speech and vice versa. I get the impression they are there to help diagnose and to guide for therapy but are not there for longer term therapy but I think they do see some for therapy. We aren't far enough in the process just yet to know what will happen for us, though for us therapy up there will be hard work and require DD to miss more school than I will be comfortable about so I will be happy for recommendations at this stage.

We were referred in mid September, and had our appointment late November, so the wait time is not too drastic.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: