Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Self harm

(5 Posts)
5ElvesMooningSanta Wed 08-Dec-10 19:12:03

Picked DS2 up from school today, and his 1:1 has said she was so worried about him as he started hurting himself for no real reason. Someone had taken his packed lunch bag instead of their own, and he reacted by punching his forehead. When his 1:1 stopped him doing it, he used the other hand to scratch his forehead.

He has never done this before,and I am worried as to why he is doing it.

He has had a cold for the past few days, and a cough which he normally doesn't get. I can't remember the last time he had a cough tbh.

I am wondering if it would be worth just keeping him off for the week, even thinking of telling his 1:1 not to let him do the school nativity as he doesn't like the hall, although she said he has been fine with singing.

I hate the run up to christmas

IndigoBell Wed 08-Dec-10 22:32:54

Sounds like a great idea to keep him off for the week. Everyone finds the run up to christmas hard.

siblingrivalry Wed 08-Dec-10 22:57:52

I think it's a good idea to keep him off school. It sounds like he's reached his limit and the self-harming is a symptom of this sad

DD1 self-harms in a similar way when she is overloaded and anxious -punches herself in the head/hits her head off the wall/claws at her skin.

I also hate and detest the run-up to Christmas. The change in routine, pressure on the kids etc is just too much for our dc. Trust your instincts. Hope your ds is feeling better soon.

auntyfash Wed 08-Dec-10 23:02:54

My ds also does this (blimey, he seems he does EVERYTHING that other people are posting about tonight!) and I do think this run up to Xmas is a very likely cause. My ds also has his birthday coming up, a part in the nativity play and he's one mega stressed out little man .

I might pinch your idea of keeping him off for a while. He's a much gentler and easier child when he's off school. I LOVE school holidays!

5ElvesMooningSanta Thu 09-Dec-10 10:20:08

DS2 is the opposite, he hates being off school.

I wanted to keep him off today, but he kicked off and wanted to go in. Have sent him in but told the 1:1 that if he starts doig it she is to contact me straight away and I will collect him.

Scratches on his head look sore today

Scary as this is the first time he has done this. He used to basjh his had off doors and walls when he was frustrated, but that stopped a while ago.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: