Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

dontcha just love uninvited parenting advice?

(30 Posts)
ArthurPewty Tue 07-Dec-10 20:17:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Tue 07-Dec-10 20:23:04

Apparently tutting works too.

Or so the man in the post office thought.

I told him it wasn't as helpful as he thought it was.

Now I daren't go back in grin

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Tue 07-Dec-10 20:23:44

Although, if beating does work then my two will fairly soon have got it out of each other grin

<sigh>

ArthurPewty Tue 07-Dec-10 20:25:41

Lilka Tue 07-Dec-10 20:26:40

angry oh yep, i have got plenty of that in my time! My DD's aren't autistic (although i have aspergers) but they are very emotioanlly behind other children and they have huge needs compared to other children because tehy were both abused very badly when they were younger. So yep, people saw them acting their emotional age and called them wierd and sometimes even muttered behind my back - obviuosly about how my poor children were being so badly parented by me and that's why they were so strange blah blah blah angry It hurts

ArthurPewty Tue 07-Dec-10 20:28:36

1980Sport Tue 07-Dec-10 20:47:24

I was at a weightwatcher weighin this afternoon and I always bring my dc. DS1 who is 2 has GDD so the lady who scans your card always asks me - well is he not speaking walking yet etc? Is he not potty trained yet, (all the usual questions). So today I said actually DS has a few SNs and won't do those things just as quickly as other kids, she said what's wrong with him, I said he has developmental delay. She said, 'never heard of it, must be one of these new fangled ideas. Kids never had that in my day'

I just smiled and said nothing!

willowthecat Tue 07-Dec-10 20:53:09

It's such a difficult area isn't it - I often wonder why there were so many hospitals and institutions for children and adults that were not wanted by society if those from that area are so clear in their minds that the problems never even existed. But I think we all live in our own bubbles - those people probably did grow up in a world where schools and everyone else only admitted the developmentally perfected and the 'others' were bundled away into oblivion.

willowthecat Tue 07-Dec-10 21:05:14

era ! not area !

Spinkle Tue 07-Dec-10 21:27:24

oh good lord.

I find it's always the older generation who are so free with their opinions! hmm A little bit of ignorance goes a long way, doesn't it?

That said, my DS spends time with my MIL and her posse of cronies who just about dote on him like he was their own. And feed him chocolate. And buy him toys. And insist on cuddles.

ArthurPewty Tue 07-Dec-10 21:47:35

purplepidjbauble Tue 07-Dec-10 21:48:46

My Gran was a primary teacher, back in the day. She's now 89, which gives you an idea of quite how back in the day this was!

Kids considered "educationally sub-normal" were not sent to school, end of story. Granny spent some time as a visiting teacher; these children were given an hour or two a week of basic literacy and numeracy, and left to get on with it at home the rest of the time.

The reason there were no special needs 40 years ago is because people with them were either locked up in institutions where the general public couldn't see them, or kept at home to be beaten and sexually abused by their, often also undiagnosed SEN, relatives...

tiredmummyneedswineandsleep Tue 07-Dec-10 21:52:38

it's awful isn't it. don't know how you managed so well leonie- i'd have either cried or snapped back - or both!
i've lost count of the ''he needs a good hiding'' remarks and glares and tuts.
ds had a huge meltdown in a charity shop and supermarket today. there were a few people in the charity shop who told him how ''naughty'' he was. i'm not going out without the buggy in a while. really struggled to get him out of the shop as he wouldn't get off the floor. h is size and weight of a five year old. i have to put cable ties on buggy straps to keep him in but it's on its way out. he broke last buggy in april mid tantrum.

ArthurPewty Tue 07-Dec-10 21:56:37

mumslife Tue 07-Dec-10 22:02:00

PipinJo Tue 07-Dec-10 22:44:03

PipinJo Tue 07-Dec-10 22:46:42

tiredmummyneedswineandsleep Tue 07-Dec-10 22:54:24

crikey didn't realise those places still existed in the 90s sad

i am one to be double tutted to as a singl mum of an asd child.

ihavenewsockson Tue 07-Dec-10 23:08:14

people can be so judgemental can't they.

if they walked a mile in another person's shoes...

one of the reasons i haven't told my parents is that I'm sure they will say " a good hiding didn't do you any harm, there wasn't any autism in our day" sad

ihavenewsockson Tue 07-Dec-10 23:09:11

my mum was a psychiatric nurse too. truth be told, she would be alot more understanding than my dad, who would just explain it as naughtiness.

purplepidjbauble Tue 07-Dec-10 23:17:59

"crikey didn't realise those places still existed in the 90s"

Place I work for was like that up until 4 years ago when the current company took over.

purplepidjbauble Tue 07-Dec-10 23:18:29

Must just add, I wasn't there then, only been with them a month!

PipinJo Tue 07-Dec-10 23:24:14

ihavenewsockson Tue 07-Dec-10 23:24:35

That's awful purple. So sad for the children involved.

keepyourmouthshutox Wed 08-Dec-10 04:48:58

Well, I have been told ds is that way he is because I must have done something in my past life and this is retribution ... somedays I really do not want to talk to people!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: