Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

hypomobility and what does an OT do??

(8 Posts)

saw Physio and OT today.
Physio has told me that DD2 has hypomobile joints in hips, knees, legs, feet and hands. Extra exersices to do, otherwise due to tiptoe walking she'll need casts!

But OT said that there isnt much for her to do and they dont do a huge amount with children with SPD? She's given me a profile to cpmplete about DD2 sensory stuff, but looks like she wont be doing much with us. what is it they do??

Ineedtinsel Tue 07-Dec-10 13:39:17

Good question lisad... Dd3 saw OT a few weeks ago and they said she had hypermobile joints and low muscle tone and then they discharged her!!![wtf] Despite her only being on the 16th percentile for her motor skills.

When you find out what they do let me know will you and I will ring the and tell themwink.

rollonspring Tue 07-Dec-10 14:26:37

I think they have levels and if OT sees that you will do exercises with your DD then you will be signed off with a pile of exercises to do with her!

My DD has hypermobility in most joints and low muscle tone in her core. OT has signed her off with exercises but physio has no intention of doing so!

elliejjtiny Tue 07-Dec-10 16:17:36

Is this a health OT or a social services OT? DS2 had a health OT who referred him to wheelchair services, offered (fairly useless) advice about car seats, was there at feeding clinic but didn't say anything, and then discharged him.

Social services OT sorted out a supportive highchair and now insists on coming round every couple of months (usually when I am busiest) and asks questions like, do you need a stairlift, bed rails, toilet adaptations etc. So it's been mainly about equipment.

I think it depends on the age of the child and how severe their needs are.

its nhs OT, and DD2 is 3 years old. She told me I need to self refer to dis childrens team so i can get a SS OT assessment for the house.

goingroundthebend4 Tue 07-Dec-10 20:01:46

ds ot fpr hypermoblity nhs sorts out whats needed forr school .Ds has supportive seating in the class room also handrails in/out the class room .Rails for the toilet etc

.She also came up with a program and went into school to go over with them also wrote reccomendaions and ds now has theraputty in school special cultery .

Ds wont be signed of as he ha sin his statement but his needs are quite high he is still unable at 5.6 to hold pecil in proper grip holds like a dagger and is unable to write so she is looking at what other options we can use so ther ephysical rathe rthan sensoory needs for spd you need star she knows more about that in Herts

misdee Tue 07-Dec-10 20:09:00

as you know 3 out of 4 of my girls have various degrees of hypermobility.

dd2 is very much like your dd2 as in clumsey as well. we had bath steps for the bath and a seat for a while as she slipped getting in and out of the bath and was too heavey to lift. they also offered a toilet frame as she had a habit of falling down the loo, but as dh was home at the time, he wouldn't have been able to use the loo with the frame in place and his LVAD.

They also gave her a breezi chair to help with seating at the table, as has a tendancy to slump.

DD4 is the worst affected in terms of bendiness. She was slow to walk and still walks with a hip-swing now. She has hypermobility in all joints.

Do be careful of dislocation. dd1 has suffered a few in her time, and i oftem feel dd4 joints 'pop' when doing simple things like lifting her or changing her nappy.

children with hypermobility can tire quicker than children without. but its finding a good balence between exercise and tiredness.

Work on building up the muscles around the joints with exercise, dont let dd2 get 'lazy' as under-exercised joints can lead to more dislocations iyswim. But obviously dont go for high-impact sports as this will adversely affect the joints.

goingroundthebend4 Wed 08-Dec-10 06:08:13

swimming is one of the best forms of excersise .we try go most Saturdays used o take Ds more but school day to long now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now