Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How can i keep dd1 ammused for a week stuck indoors with pox?

(6 Posts)
Marne Sun 05-Dec-10 08:47:09

Dd1 has come down with pox (just as dd2 has got over it), she is covered but feels fine (so far), looks like she will have to have a week off of school sad, she's very upset as she has the main role in the school play and will miss the rehersals (sp), she also gets very upset when i try and put creem on her spots (sensory). I now have the task of taking dd2 to school with dd1 in toe, i can't just drop dd2 off as she has no 1:1 until 9.10am so i need to watch her until they go in.

I have already had 2 weeks stuck inside (1 with dd2 with pox and a week snowed in), dd1 is running out of things to do, we have put the decorations up and started making some decorations but what else can i do with her for a week? If she gets her own way she will sit on the pc for a week (which i don't want), how can i keep a child with AS busy and stop her from getting upset about not being at school?

purplepidjbauble Sun 05-Dec-10 09:04:39

Apparently, you can make your owntherapy putty although I haven't tested the recipe smile

If you can stand the noise, make musical instruments - loo roll shakers, cardboardbox/elastic band guitars etc.

Cheap and easy recipe for fudge:
4oz white marshmallows
1oz butter
2tbsp milk
food colouring and flavouring
1lb icing sugar

Melt the marshmallows, butter, milk and colouring/flavouring together gently. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the marshmallow mixture. Refrigerate for 4 hours, then shape like playdough.

4oz white marshmallows = buy two bags and take out the white ones. You cna use the pink ones for hot choc or to make pink fudge smile

HTH, can think up more if you like?

Marne Sun 05-Dec-10 09:15:39

Thank you purple, she will love the musical instruments grin.

silverfrog Sun 05-Dec-10 09:35:07

instead of cream on her spots, try running her a bath with oats in (just normal prridge oats - bung some on a sock, and hold it over the tap so the water runs through the oats. this releases some stuff (very technical grin)) which is ver soothing)

obviously this only works if not gluten-free, and if she is ok with baths smile

acitivity wise, could you rehears the play with her? and she put on a production for dd2/dh when they get in? or owuld that make her worry more?

making Christmas cards - at least there is a point ot this one grin also making wrapping paper for presents, just sponge printing onto printer paper.

Marne Sun 05-Dec-10 10:00:56

Thanks silverfrog, i will try and get her in the bath (it can be a challange but once she's in she's fine).

I have offered to rehers the play but apparently 'i don't know the actions' grin. Hopfully she can still keep her place in the play, she seems to know everyones lines as well as hers smile.

purplepidjbauble Sun 05-Dec-10 10:24:57

Maybe you and she could write your own Christmas play, make costumes, and perform it for the family on Christmas Day? You could write a part in for DD2 and DH...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now