Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ds has achieved so much in the past year

(19 Posts)
TheArsenicCupCake Sat 04-Dec-10 20:56:01

I have spent most of the day going through ds2 'file'.. All his notes.. Updated and reorganised. ( have sone appointments and meetings coming up).
Every issue.. Every fight we've had.. Every strategy we tried etc etc
when you read the file as a whole ( it actually spans 7 years.. From before we knew right up to last week.)

The story ( because that is what it is) unfolds..it's quite remarkable really.. From the early days of no eye contact and not being able to write.. To now... It's a complete record.. Early years, education, medical, mental health and social services.

And I finished up by just popping in his achievements..
( this bit makes me happy). He has worked so hard.. Has achieved so much

we still have a long way to go.. He still has a lot of issues.. But you know what.. He can almost walk around a supermarket now, is dry through the night, asks if he doesn't understand ( not at school but does at home).. The meltdowns are less.. The list goes on.

So for a those with younger dc's on the ASC spectrum.. Keep going.. Keep fighting and writing those letters and pushing.. Keep doing what your doing... Because you'll one day be updating a 'file' and you'll look back and see the whole story.

I'm so proud of him ..

daisy5678 Sat 04-Dec-10 21:04:01

smile what a lovely post!

I know what you mean. My boy has made such massive massive progress when you look back at the feral 3 year old he was - I will follow your example and write down the achievements. It's what gets you through the dark times!

Well done to your boy and to you - it doesn't happen by itself...

Well done to your DS -what an inspiration.
Reading this gives me hope for my 3.3 DS.
Lastly well done to you, you have obviously done a huge deal to support him and help him make such huge progress. It's lovely to hear good news

fightingthezombies Sat 04-Dec-10 21:09:58

Fab post Arsenic. I think it's easy to spend so much time fighting for our dc's that you can forget how far they've come. You've made me realise that I must celebrate all the good things about ds and what he can do rather than concentrating on the negatives. Thanks.

Toppy Sat 04-Dec-10 21:11:51

Thank you so so much for your post - I really needed it this evening: DH is out and I'm on my own compiling newly diagnosed autistic DS's 'file' & feeling very sad whilst rest of nation is watching X factor.

TheArsenicCupCake Sat 04-Dec-10 21:27:36

Ahhh it's so easy to get bogged down by it all.. Going from one fight or crisis to another.. Flapping about in the dark.. And then you look back and think wow!

Mind I'll be on here no doubt very soon moaning again at the latest 'moment'!

purplepidjbauble Sat 04-Dec-10 21:43:41

Awesome, Arsenic grin

Toppy, I reckon the ones watching X Factor are the sad ones... Especially all the single ones on my facebook!

smugtandemfeeder Sat 04-Dec-10 22:10:00

And there's me moaning away about minor speech issues! What a lovely post which has cheered me up and made me think more positively. Thank you.

ghoulsforgodot Sat 04-Dec-10 22:10:55

lovely post. thank you

TheArsenicCupCake Sat 04-Dec-10 22:23:47

Smug... Nothing is minor

intothewest Sat 04-Dec-10 22:30:35

Thank you smile

Eveiebaby Sat 04-Dec-10 22:50:03

Excellent news smile

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 04-Dec-10 22:57:10

Message withdrawn

TheArsenicCupCake Sat 04-Dec-10 23:16:48

Star everyone is allowed to be proud of my boy... He's a bit ace

if I had left him to the sole devices of our education system .. Well I dread to think.. But we have high expectations in all areas.. I can't be arsed ( sorry) to keep fighting the shutdown system.. So we work hard at home.. I fight what I have to at school, but it's our belief ad parents that he can and will learn what he needsto become a contributor to society.

Yet it is his hard work

keepyourmouthshutox Sun 05-Dec-10 02:21:06

smile

Thank you.

I would really have loved to read a post like that 4/5 years ago.

'I can't be arsed to keep fighting the shotdown system...so we work hard at home...'

Same thoughts here. At a meeing on Friday it was suggested that he was reluctant to go to school because I make him do too much work and school said, 'Ds works very hard in school too; we teach him' Had to bite my tongue and refrain from saying - but you don't know how to and won't listen to outside experts so it is all wasted effort.

So well done you.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 05-Dec-10 07:56:36

Message withdrawn

TheArsenicCupCake Sun 05-Dec-10 11:34:11

You do have to stamp your foot down on certain things at school.. But I learnt the hard way that I only have so much energy.. And I'd rather put it into ds2 directly.

Ineedtinsel Sun 05-Dec-10 20:22:45

Thanx for that post TACC, it reminded me why I have been carefully filing all the reports and letters about Dd3 and keeping the diary.

I can't wait to look back in a few years and see how far we have come.

I really agree with you about not wasting energy on school, they are determined not to listen.

We are just beginning our journey and still have no Dx but that doesn't mean we are not working all the time to improve things for Dd3 and it is people like you and others on here who are inspiring me to keep going.smile

TheArsenicCupCake Mon 06-Dec-10 19:12:45

Indeed.. It's people here on SN who keep me going

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now