Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My DS is constantly seeking rocking movement

(17 Posts)
ghoulsforgodot Sat 04-Dec-10 17:17:02

So we have a rocking horse for him in the lounge.
Should we be encouraging it? Has anyone had experience of this and how did you handle it. Thanks x

purplepidjbauble Sat 04-Dec-10 17:22:00

Sounds like a good sensory input to me Do you have a nice comfy rocking chair for mummy to cuddle up in with a big glass of wine??

ghoulsforgodot Sat 04-Dec-10 17:29:27

I think Santa is bringing me one! Thats why I wondered if it was ok to encourage it as it is a bit of a stim.

colditz Sat 04-Dec-10 17:34:08

Bilibo www.activepeople.com/en/toys/bilibo/

FanjoForTheMincePies Sat 04-Dec-10 17:37:10

yes, i'd enciurage it, my DD loves bouncing on the bed, it really calms her down.

purplepidjbauble Sat 04-Dec-10 17:56:38

Rhythmic movement is very calming, and if it helps your DS in a "socially appropriate" way then I would see it as a good thing

It has to be better than trashing the house or stimming by doing something that inadvertently hurts him?

Spinkle Sat 04-Dec-10 18:05:46

We keep a rebounder in the front room for the same purpose. The stimming usually starts about 5pm when he's getting a bit jaded.

Not sure if it's considered the 'right thing to do' but keeps us all sane and is therefore, good.

ghoulsforgodot Sat 04-Dec-10 18:23:48

thanks for all your replies. I like the look of the bilibo too but I dont know if it would give him enough movement iykwim?

intothewest Sat 04-Dec-10 22:37:44

Had a couple for my ds's party from toy library- all the kids loved them including the 14 year old NTs !

Omnibob Sun 05-Dec-10 20:25:20

One of my sons does this but a lot less frequently, now he's 12. He also stims by shaking a toy or piece of paper in front of him.

ghoulsforgodot Sun 05-Dec-10 20:36:26

hey omnibob
did you encourage him to do it?

used2bthin Sun 05-Dec-10 21:25:49

My DD does this and jumping on the bed and obsesses over windscreen wipers and often makes her feet go side to side or her arms. She is rarely still actually. Is that what stimming is?Repeated actions?Jst that I have wondered before if it is the same thing. Sorry for hijack OP.

ghoulsforgodot Sun 05-Dec-10 21:51:46

yes thats stimming.
My DS jumps on the bed too!

willowthecat Mon 06-Dec-10 07:30:14

Yes - that is stimming. I have agonised over the 'to stim or not to stim' issue for a long time now but not come to any real answer other than a compromise that stimming can be re directed into something more socially appropriate - i.e i think a rocking chair is better than racing in repetitive circles. It is so hard though as although it is enjoyable for ds, I do not think it is always beneficial as he switches off from engagement and the more stimming he is 'allowed' the more he craves

used2bthin Mon 06-Dec-10 21:01:18

That makes sense willow. My dd obsesses over things and constantly repeats the same questions which is a similar thing. When stressed she always reverts back to the same stuff. Ah it is exhausting sometimes isn't it. She has a language disorder btw.

Just trying that out as itis a new label!

Omnibob Sun 09-Oct-11 02:58:06

No

Dawndonna Mon 10-Oct-11 16:55:32

Mine are 16 and 15. Two play the guitar which helps, although now ds2 (16) will sit and read or watch tv, and you can see the free hand 'playing guitar' when the guitar is upstairs! Hubby does that one too!
Dd2 (15) Is never still, but she has adhd too. Unusually, neither dd1 or ds2 have the adhd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now