Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Think I need to sit down!!!!!

(15 Posts)
Willmum Tue 30-Nov-10 21:35:38

Just thought I would let you all know. I got a reply from the LEA today regarding my sons statutory assessment. I am absoloutly amazed but...... they have agreed and sent me a draft statement!!!!!!!!!!!

To say I am gobsmacked is probably the biggest understatment ever. Its taken me all afternoon to be able to get my head around it enough even to post here.

I guess I'm also a little sad as I was hoping they would tell me to bugger off and that there was really nothing wrong.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks, to all who offered advice and just wanted to offer encouragement to others.

My son is 3.8 and at pre-school. I requested the statutory assessment as pre-school said they didn't think he had any major problems!
The catagorically stated that they could not support a request for a SA as they didn't think he was 'that bad'.

They also said there was no way that the LEA would carry out a SA and that he would never be given a statement. The EP also told me he would be extremly unlikely to get a statment and my LEA are not renowed for being generous regarding sen.

So to anyone who is being told the same, do not give up!

Off to dring a very large glass of wine now and go and read up about the various parts to statements. If anyone wants to offer any advice about things to look for please feel free.

Thanks again.

Willmum Tue 30-Nov-10 21:37:12

Please ignore all above spelling mistakes, I was obviously too excited to pre-read my message.

5inthebed Tue 30-Nov-10 21:39:16

Well done, that is excellent news!

TheArsenicCupCake Tue 30-Nov-10 21:41:46

Brilliant news

justaboutdreamsofsleep Tue 30-Nov-10 21:54:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SausageMonster Tue 30-Nov-10 21:57:21

Well done

But read it carefully - it's not about getting a Statement, it's about what's written in the Statement and ensuring the support is adequate.

Best wishes

BialystockandBloom Tue 30-Nov-10 21:57:38

Great news, well done smile

fightingthezombies Tue 30-Nov-10 22:03:58

Yay - nice to see some good news.

Agnesdipesto Tue 30-Nov-10 22:11:50

A.C.E. have a guide how to check a statement - once you have recovered from the wine that is. Well done!

auntevil Wed 01-Dec-10 08:44:25

Well done - perseverance and not being fobbed off has won!Hope the hangover is not too bad! grin

pinkorkid Wed 01-Dec-10 09:19:45

Well done -biggest hurdle over. You can get some help checking the statement - ace, sossen, ipsea, partnership with parents

jiggles01 Wed 01-Dec-10 17:47:12

Well done for believing in yourself and what your DS needs,especially after all the `professionals` telling you otherwise !
Keep the strength and belief up -you will need it!

keepyourmouthshutox Wed 01-Dec-10 17:54:13

Well done.

intothewest Wed 01-Dec-10 17:57:13

good news about the statement,but I can understand the sad element too- next fight will be getting the correct provision- good luck

Willmum Wed 01-Dec-10 22:19:38

Thanks folks, when I told hubby he said 'oh good that means the fights over then' Bless him, he looked a bit crestfallen when I pointed out that it's unlikly that it will be totally right and thats why its a draft statement.

Still, it is definitly going the right way. I have been looking at sossen ipsea and A.C.E they all look really helpful, thanks for the suggestions.

I just really wanted people to know that being told by ed phys, school etc that your child will 'never get a statement' etc etc does not mean they won't. You just really need to be determined and not listen if you think your child needs assessing.

I think many of us have been told that our children do not need/will not get a statement and without the supoport on here, I might have been inclinced to listen and not pushed it.

I'm so glad I didn't though. Just hope the postie makes it through tomorrow, so I might get a look at what the statement says.

Thanks again everyone

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: