Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

new here son had ADOS and worried

(6 Posts)
dexter5 Mon 29-Nov-10 18:56:30

New here my son just had the ADOS
Hello everyone, We are new to all of this. My son has been attending a child development unit for months for observations, they then recently reviewed him at school nursery and from that assessment they recommended an ADOS. I'm waiting nervously for the result been a week now. After the school assessment the speech therapist told me she is sure that he is autistic and his doctor told me at the last appointment that his gut feeling is that my son is autistic but, after the ADOS i was told they didn't want to say anything until they had scored it. Just want to know if he is or isn't. The doctor said they often have to score in cases where the child has mild symptoms. My son seemed himself in the test however, they didn't get to see his temper, he didn't complete any of the pretend play for example didn't blow out the candles, feed the doll or give the doll a drink. Didn't answer alot of questions put to him. He did however, smile at the doctor ask him what things were. Oh i'm drving myself insane with worry. Please help me, any advice would be appreciated as my son is struggling at school he can be violent, screams and covers his ears when the other children sing won't sit with the others and prefers soliatary play. We've even been asked not to bring his to classes school nativity as he is too disruptive and destressed by singing. Thanks so much

SausageMonster Mon 29-Nov-10 19:00:29

HI Dexter and welcome.

Waiting for a disgnostic test is the very worst time. Even if it shows he has a particular condition at least the waiting and guessing is at and end.

Just try to chill - easier said than done I know.

Best wishes

dexter5 Mon 29-Nov-10 19:02:48

Thanks sausage monster. You would think I'd be used to waiting he's been being assessed since February!!!

SausageMonster Mon 29-Nov-10 19:06:07

That's a long time - too long really.

Just look at it postively. You'll soon find out one way or the other but he'll still be your same little boy whatever the outcome.

Take care

colditz Mon 29-Nov-10 19:07:16

When he gets his result (which certainky does sound like it's going to be autism) try to remember that he is still the same child. Nothing has changed. It's like a cooking label on food - it just gives you an idea of how to handle things.

dexter5 Mon 29-Nov-10 19:13:46

Thanks colditz I'm just feeling now that i want to know one way or the other. We just want to help him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now