Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The torture of 10 green bottles at 3am!

(8 Posts)
JustBeachy Mon 29-Nov-10 12:58:59

My DS is 5 and has ASD - he is usually a fairly good sleeper but it is not unusual for him to wake at night and do a bit of singing/chatting but he stays in his room and goes back to sleep/goes quiet after around 30mins so not too bad.

Last night we had loud singing for over 2 HOURS from about 2.00am to 4.30am - Aaaaaaargh! Freaking 10 green bottles/10 in the bed/10 fat freaking sausages/5 currant buns over and over...oh my lord it was torturous!

So to discourage this from being a nightly show I am doing "no computer allowed" today and am going to make a whiteboard sign for his door that we can fill in each morning and write "little beachy has been quiet all night and can go on the computer today" or "little beachy has been loud in the night and cannot use the computer today"

Do you think that will work? I went in to him twice last night to tell him to be quiet but he started up again after a few mins both times and I don't want to make a game out of it/reward his noise with my presence iyswim.

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received!

Ineed2 Mon 29-Nov-10 13:08:14

I nearly said Aahh bless, but then Irembembered how irritating it is in the day never mind at 3 am.

I think your idea is great and I hope it works for you.

We use a red aand yellow card system to stop unwanted behaviour but I don't know your Ds so I don't know what his understanding is like.

I would go with your idea first and see what happens.

Good luck smile.

AdelaofBlois Mon 29-Nov-10 13:11:44

DS1 sung Peppa Pig's 'school song' (bing bing baa) for two hours last night, proudly counting the number of times he did it until he got to 20, then starting again.

I found it strangely relaxing after about 45 minutes, but had to drag him into bed and cuddle him to get him to stop.

JustBeachy Mon 29-Nov-10 13:19:20

Yes I suppose having songs sung is better than random screeching and whatnot...it's just when you know he won't be stopping until the whole song is done...and then he starts again...sigh

I'm going to get him to help me make a little mind map of all the things you do at night to help him understand what he is supposed to do and what will happen if he does/doesn't...hope it works. I'm tired!

purplepidjrobin Mon 29-Nov-10 17:23:53

I like the whiteboard idea if his reading is good enough

If you want to simplify, how about a sign that says "Was I quiet last night" yes/no and "May I play on the computer today?" yes/no. Then you can put pictures all over it hmm

Spinkle Mon 29-Nov-10 17:33:58

We've had the 10 Green Bottles thing at night. 10 Fat sausages too.....

Now we've got 'tunes' from the Xmas play....

You have my sympathies!!!

JustBeachy Mon 29-Nov-10 19:23:44

You have no idea how much better it is to know I am not the only one lying awake listening to these songs...I daresay i'll miss it when it's gone confused

He def did not like having no computer today so here's hoping for a quiet night smile

JustBeachy Tue 30-Nov-10 07:41:28

All quiet 'til 6.15 this morning (normal get up time for DS) and he clearly understands the link with computer privileges...hope it lasts grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: