Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

how do I get a diagnosis?

(9 Posts)
kissingfrogs Sun 28-Nov-10 22:19:17

I'm at the point now where I really want some sort of diagnosis. I need to know. I spend so many hours searching for information on language difficulties/disorders that I'm all tied in knots and don't know what to think anymore.

I have a file of assessments. Dd2 has both receptive & expressive language problems. No professional has ever discussed this properly with me, no-one will discuss even the possibility of what to call this language problem ("it's not my field").

Problem is dd has a hearing impairment too. HI + Language Disorder = no-one's "field".

Meanwhile, dd has been poorly with a cold. Her hearing is down (glue) and typically so is her language (not speech). Try telling a professional that when it doesnt make sense that her language can be up/down.

I'm feeling down about this. I can see a brick wall ahead as I struggle once again to think how on earth can I explain her homework to her this week.

Just who/where/what do I do to get a diagnosis?

Jellykat Sun 28-Nov-10 22:38:56

I would have presumed GP referral to the relevant consultant? Not sure tho' as mine and DS2s experiences are in the Dyspraxic area..

Bumping hoping someone with language experience will know.

Good luck!

kissingfrogs Sun 28-Nov-10 22:53:32

thanks jellycat. Because dd has hearing loss the relevant consultant is an audiologist who was sure dds hearing aids would sort everything out. As dds language (vocab etc)has increased her language problem has become more evident. It's been generally agreed that her language difficulty is seperate from her HI.

A SALT has told me it's not their field. The new SALT (new area) has told me waiting lists are too long so no therapy there.

A Skills Facilitator (?) did a session with dd last week. Wrote that dd had told her about her weekend & new shoes. What new shoes?
If I told you what dd says to me in "conversations" you'd be ummmm, quite suprised to say the least. Some of it - the bits you can understand - is really bizzare.

Jellykat Sun 28-Nov-10 23:12:11

So the Audiologist,having decided that her language was a seperate issue, didn't refer her on to anyone else?.. Thats terrible!

Are there any national bodies/helplines re.Language difficulties who may know of private assessors/therapists?

kissingfrogs Sun 28-Nov-10 23:25:20

Head of Sensory Dept/Teacher of the deaf/Ed Psych/Sensory Panel/SALT - everyone neatly refering on to other people, other departments and side-stepping the issue of giving an opinion either (1) because they haven't a clue, or (2) they think I'll sue if they get it wrong.

All I want is to be able to talk to a professional who is not afraid to give an opinion.

Maybe I should ring Afasic? I wonder if I should pay a private SALT but having had 1 say not-her-field puts me off somewhat.

(thanks Jellykat)

Jellykat Mon 29-Nov-10 20:38:03

That's crap! poor you-it must be so frustrating! Why are a lot of these 'professionals' so good at passing the buck? Bloody ridiculous!!!

If i were you,i'd put a morning aside and ring all and sundry.It won't do any harm, some people are helpful in this world, and may have some ideas or other numbers to call...

Good luck! I hope you get somewhere soon...

kissingfrogs Mon 29-Nov-10 23:39:46

Thanks Jellykat, much appreciated.
There's few people out there who have experience of HI with language disorder. I suspected I wouldn't have many replies on this subject (same when I post on deaf forums elsewhere)but you gotta keep on trying. X

dolfrog Wed 01-Dec-10 11:29:14

Hi kissingfrogs

Sounds like you need a GP referral to Great Ormond Street Hospital for an Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) assessment.

APD is a listening disorder or having problems processing what you hear. It is possible to have both a hearing impairment, and APD.

APD can be acquired by having severe ear infections such as Otitis Media with effusion also known as Glue Ear.

for more information about APD have a look at
APDUK and the Medical Research Council

kissingfrogs Wed 01-Dec-10 20:56:33

Dofrog: I've thought about APD. Dd had severe glue (on top of sensorineural deafness) for over a year.
One characteristic of dds language is that it's up & down: good days, bad days. I read somewhere that CAPD can be like that. Recent tests have shown that although she's ok with v short sentences, when the sentence length is longer she catches only maybe the beginning & end.

Spoke to senco, teacher & TOD this week. All agree a diagnosis is necessary because no-one knows what to do to help. School is behind me all the way in trying to help dd get support as they are really concerned about her disability in language.

TOD is ringing around to get some advice on who best to diagnose. TOD says GP will just re-refer to SALT so we'll just go around in circles.
If no joy with TODs contacts I'll take your advice and WILL talk to GP.

<off to read your links now>
Thanks x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: