Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD and using random phrases

(12 Posts)
Eveiebaby Sat 27-Nov-10 22:52:40

DD 4.6 (ASD) has been progressing well with her language over the last few months.

However, over the last 2-3 weeks she has taken to calling out "Yes mummy" completely out of context.

Eg we were in a shop today and I pointed out father christmas and asked her "who's this"? and she replied "Yes mummy".

I have noticed her do this several times over the last few weeks and it usually seems to be when she does not know an answer to a question - she just blurts out "yes mummy".

Even if my mum asks her a question she cannot answer she will run to me and shout "yes mummy".

She used to use a lot of learned phrases in conversation although this has been improving with slighly more original language recently and the learned phrases she used were always in context.

I am a little bit worried as it seems it may be a step backwards or maybe a new behaviour.
She has never in the past repeated books, films,converstaions etc...

Any advice appreciated

lisad123isgoingcrazy Sat 27-Nov-10 23:07:43

DD2 does this when she doesnt understand the question she has been asked and just gives a standard answer.
She also uses phases as a stim.

TheArsenicCupCake Sat 27-Nov-10 23:12:20

Ds does this when he is uncomforable or doesn't understand ..

Repeating what was said in films etc is one of our constant battles .. I think he does this to process what has been said.. Because he will literally repeat the movie one sentence behind what was said..

Eveiebaby Sat 27-Nov-10 23:18:44

Thanks - I think you are both probably right - she either doesn't understand or cannot express the correct answer so just says "yes mummy". Where as thinking about it - before she would of just not answered the question at all.

TheArsenicCupCake Sat 27-Nov-10 23:26:21

'yes mummy' is far better IMO than not answering the questions it's a big step forward in two way conversation

keep doing what your doing.. Keep giving her things to be able to say back and keep encouraging

Eveiebaby Sat 27-Nov-10 23:36:19

Thanks Arsenic yes I guess it is going forward. smile
I just felt self conscious in the shop as we were in a queue and it looked a bit obvious to others from DD's response that she has problems so it seemed to me that it wasn't progress hmm but maybe it is ME who has the problem and I just need to get over myself!

TheArsenicCupCake Sat 27-Nov-10 23:45:20

Eviebaby I have had the worst shopping trip today ( posted it in sn recommendations. By accident.. I wouldn't recommend lol).

Sod the people watching .. Sod them all ( we put on quite a show.. And it was heart breaking for me.. But ds didn't notice and goblinchild made me laugh about it ).

You are doing great

Triggles Sun 28-Nov-10 09:52:12

DS2 does this - repeats a standard answer - and it makes me wonder just how much he understands of the conversation and how much he just happens to answer a standard response and I THINK he understands. hmm If that makes sense.

tiredmummyneedswineandsleep Sun 28-Nov-10 09:54:30

My DS does this to keeps repeating the question or uses a random repeated answer.

Eveiebaby Sun 28-Nov-10 19:47:42

Thanks all - your advice is helping a lot. Arsenic - I didn't even know there was a SN recommendations sections - I am off to read your post now!

Spinkle Sun 28-Nov-10 21:07:24

Oh yes, we have totally random stuff that just flops out.

We have the most bizarre surreal conversations walking down the street. I'm sure people raise their eyebrows wink

3 yrs ago he wasn't speaking at all, so I should be pleased!!!

Eveiebaby Sun 28-Nov-10 21:36:53

[SMILE]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: