Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone know how to get a huge wheelchair in a taxi across London?

(19 Posts)
meltedmarsbars Fri 26-Nov-10 22:22:26

From St Pancras to Westminster?

Its a power chair, I don't think it will fit into a normal black cab without decapitating the occupant! - and looking at parking, it looks horrendous around Westminster.

Anyone been to the H of Parliament with a disabled person?

Please?

smile

anonandlikeit Fri 26-Nov-10 23:21:52

have you phoned to see if they have any on-site disabled parking facilities. Lots of the big london buildings have a copule of bays that you can pre-book.
Some of the cabs are high roof/low floor accessible cabs not sure if you cna pre-book or if you will just need to take pot luck.

There are some spaces near the London Eys so you can just walk accross the bridge, there are also a couple of car parks there, the one under the festival hall is OK.

Or have a look at Pimlico parking, there are a few car parks there.

anonandlikeit Fri 26-Nov-10 23:23:23

But don't forget Westminster is exempt from the normal blue badge parking scheme so you WILL get a ticket unless you park in a designated disabled bay if you decide to go by car.

chivers1977 Sat 27-Nov-10 05:59:27

You could try calling these in advance or these

chivers1977 Sat 27-Nov-10 06:03:08

these look perfect

chivers1977 Sat 27-Nov-10 06:08:22

and there is a discount code here

meltedmarsbars Sat 27-Nov-10 17:52:52

Thanks all - will have a look!

smile

dd2 invited to House of Lords reception for here services to fundraising!

anonandlikeit Sat 27-Nov-10 19:40:54

Brilliant, well done littlemarsbars, i hope you both enjoy the day.

meltedmarsbars Mon 29-Nov-10 11:01:37

Thank you - need to work out how to get down there from Leicestershire first!

smile

auntevil Mon 29-Nov-10 11:33:42

If you're looking for a cost effective way - there are some tube stations that are accessible for wheelchairs. TFL's website has a list of those that are - and most connect with mainline stations. Does depend on the time of day though. Main commuter time is hellish full stop.

silverfrog Mon 29-Nov-10 11:36:24

I have absolutely no idea re: routes etc (all I know about London i know form a tube map! grin) but have you looked at buses?

the tfl site had route maps etc, so you could look into that. I think Riven has spent a coupel of weekends whizzing around london on buses, whilst using her chair

and very well done to mini-marsbar (or should that be funsize grin)

meltedmarsbars Mon 29-Nov-10 11:39:27

I had a look at the tfl webpage and its 2 buses, but to be quite honest, I don't think she could cope with 90mins train followed by 2 buses THEN be on best behaviour for a reception then the same all over again to get home!

I like the funsizemars idea!! I have 3 minis - shall I call them minimars, midimars and maximarsbars?

silverfrog Mon 29-Nov-10 11:43:51

could you go the day before and stay overnight, or would that be a nightmare with meds/equipment/general logistics?

agree that that journey sounds too much. I found buses a godsend, but then dd1 is phobic about escalators, so the tube was not an option for us.

there must be wheelchair-accessible cabs - or a private hire vehicle? is there a hackney cab central line you could call to organise one?

meltedmarsbars Mon 29-Nov-10 11:46:01

chivers links are good in that way - and I've left a message on the Baroness's phone asking if they have any preferential parking!

(cheeky, me!)

grin

Are your dc's silvertadpoles then?

silverfrog Mon 29-Nov-10 11:55:58

thye have been tadpoles before grin

usually when I have to talk about them in an abstract way (sounds bizarre put like that! we have had huge issues with dd2's name, and the passport office in their wisdom ahve re-named her, so we ares till fighting to get her actual name on her passport. I've had a couple of threads about it, and for clarity have then used silvertadpole as one of her names!)

maybe your dc could be treat size, fun size and king size grin

meltedmarsbars Mon 29-Nov-10 12:01:22

My dh got renamed by the Home Office too!

What about silverspawn when babies?

silverfrog Mon 29-Nov-10 12:03:05

oh I like silverspawn grin

particularly good when thought about as close to (lovely-but-not-when-cooped-up-with-them) devil's spawn grin grin

<dd2 was ill last week, and now dd1 has it. I am slowly losing the will to live>

chivers1977 Mon 29-Nov-10 14:47:03

Pleased my links were helpful. I lived in London for 28 years and it's bad enough getting around without any physical disabilities let alone with....

meltedmarsbars Tue 30-Nov-10 12:31:05

I've bookmarked the pages for future reference too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now