Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'Speciality Doctor in Community Paediatrics' - who?

(14 Posts)
NatalieJane Fri 26-Nov-10 13:05:23

DS2 has an appointment with the above, is she a Paed? <lost>

anonandlikeit Fri 26-Nov-10 13:16:01

Our appnt letters always read "Consultant community paed" who are you expecting to see.
Can you call & check, the consultant also has paed registrars working in their team.

NatalieJane Fri 26-Nov-10 13:25:50

Well her name is the same as what the HV called the Paed, but 'Specialist Doctor'? That's the bit that has thrown me, wouldn't it just say paediatrician, if she is a paed? confused Plus, it's only at our local GP's.

I was hoping/expecting for a developemental paed. Guess we'll have to wait again.

anonandlikeit Fri 26-Nov-10 13:27:09

maybe they are trying to write in simple (patronising) words so have replaced the paed with specialist doctor???

NatalieJane Fri 26-Nov-10 13:32:33

You're probably right, when the HV first mentioned her she called her 'the CMO', so I asked what a CMO is, HV replied: 'The CMO is the Community Medical Officer, or a Paediatrician <very slight pause and raising of an eyebrow> - a baby doctor' I obviously look a bit dim...!

auntevil Fri 26-Nov-10 13:35:45

I would phone and check because if you're in a surgery where each of the partners/doctors have a specialism it could just be that. We have a raft of DRs at ours and if you want really good advice on DC , you need to ask for that one as his 'specialism' is paediatrics.
There are also community paediatricians with 'specialisms'. Some are developmental paediatricians as well as community paediatricians. It depends what clinic (community or developmental) they are running as to what 'hat' they put on.

starfishmummy Fri 26-Nov-10 15:32:34

DS sees a Community Paediatrician. This is in addition to various specialist paeds (orthoapedic, neuro ......) THe community paed looks at the whole child rather than a speicialist area. Sometimes they have done a physical exam - but not always - mostly just talking to me.
He deals with any areas aof concern - physical and developmental and can (and does!!) refer on to specialists as needed. Most of the ones we have seen do not prescribe in their role as a community paed (but a couple also work at the hospital so have prescribed.....).
Its really just been an annual "MOT" - do you have any concerns that I can help with -rather than doing much recently but at 12 (and with physical and deveopmental problems from birth) DS sees everyone else he needs to anyway!

NatalieJane Fri 26-Nov-10 16:21:05

Thanks for the explanations So am I right in thinking then that the person we're going to see will be the one to refer him to OT, Physio, or whatever else?

Was planning on speaking to the HV on Monday to ask about these referrals. She has referred him to places already, but since I've found out more, I wanted to know why she hasn't referred to a few places that seem like he could benefit from, but maybe that's the CMO's job?

confused Can you tell I'm new to all of this, trying to wade through the information, it's like a minefield.

SausageMonster Fri 26-Nov-10 17:06:39

Look her up on the GMC Register of doctors and specialists.

It will tell you where and when she qualified and what specialisms she is qualified in.

NatalieJane Fri 26-Nov-10 17:46:10

Thanks SausageMonster, have just checked, only thing I have to go off are two initials and surname, found one with the same initials, says she's not a specialist in anything and not on the GP reg. though obviously is licensed to practice med. Will keep the click as well, always good to have a nosey!! wink

SausageMonster Fri 26-Nov-10 18:07:08

Well that could be why they are not referring to her as a Paediatrician as to be one shw would have to be on the specilaist register - and she doesn't appear to be.

So she may just be an ordinary medic with a special interest in paediatrics.

I always look on the GMC Register whenever I or any family member is referred to a specialist.

You would be amazed at the (lack of) qualifications some have to treat the condition you've been referred for.

eviscerateyourmemory Sat 27-Nov-10 16:20:20

A 'specialty doctor' is the new name for what used to be called a 'staff grade' doctor. A specialty doctor is not a consultant, and wont be registered with the GMC as a specialist.

mariagoretti Sat 27-Nov-10 19:06:32

Look for MRCPCH or FRCPCH after her name ('member/fellow of the royal college of paediatrics and child health' ie passed the paeds exam & has done approved junior training jobs). Or she might have an overseas equivalent with different letters.

Being a staff grade doesn't necessarily make her a less effective doctor. Traditionally, community paeds was staffed by experienced women with kids of their own who left the trying-to-be-a-consultant treadmill in favour of working locally and part-time.

eviscerateyourmemory Sun 28-Nov-10 16:22:38

Sorry, was not trying to imply that there was anything negative in being a staff grade. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: