Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Yay, I've cracked my SALT!!

(21 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Thu 25-Nov-10 15:23:07

Message withdrawn

Spinkle Thu 25-Nov-10 15:39:15

SALTs tend to deal with children who poor communication is down to lack of parental communication. Therefore is back to the 'lowest common denominator' thing when they discuss stuff with you.

You have demonstrated to her that you've got a lot about you. You used her ideas, shown you can put them into practice in such a way you get the most out of the session.

Good on you.

Thought of retraining?

youtalkingtome Thu 25-Nov-10 15:39:29

Thanks, that's really a fantastic story.

Right, I shall go back to DS and the play dough with renewed vigour.

Is it too complicated to describe any of the ways that you got your DS back into the activities?

Lougle Thu 25-Nov-10 15:44:56

Well done you; constructive action to form a constructive relationship smile

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 25-Nov-10 15:56:06

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 25-Nov-10 15:58:19

Message withdrawn

justaboutanotherbirthdaycoming Thu 25-Nov-10 17:20:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 25-Nov-10 17:37:55

Message withdrawn

WhizzBangPhlebas Thu 25-Nov-10 17:47:32

That's brilliant Star

We did exactly the same thing with our SALT (filmed tutors meeting her targets) - it completely changed her attitude to ds, his prognosis, us, our tutors, the materials she uses etc - all for the better. We have a great working relationship with her now - first she set targets & we figured out how to implement them, she knows ds well enough now that she's pretty good at figuring out how to get him to work (last session they just sat down & worked/played for an hour and a half on their own). Now she does crossover sessions with our lead tutor to figure out what we want to work on (she was totally anti-ABA when we started seeing her last summer).

My only regret is that it took 13 months to get to this point hmm and now she's good I want more of her (still only get 5-6weekly visits).

mariagoretti Thu 25-Nov-10 17:54:50

Starlight, ta v much for posting this. Esp the last bit cos showing how hard it was, somehow makes it look a bit more possible, iykwim?

keepyourmouthshutox Thu 25-Nov-10 17:55:31

Well done Star.

Again, you have set me thinking on ds's provision. Am really learning a lot from this site.

moondog Thu 25-Nov-10 17:58:37

She knew 'what' had to be targetted and I didn't, but I knew how to do it as I know ds best.

first she set targets & we figured out how to implement them,

This in a nutshell is how ABA can inform and improve SALT provision by leaps and bounds. Marvellous news. Noonoe has all the answer. We have to learn together. (I made a right hash out of a direct instruction intervention yesterday, so insistent on simplifying the language that I failed to realise I was teaching the child to calculate the sum wrongly.

ABA colleague put me on track. Cringe

'SALTs tend to deal with children who poor communication is down to lack of parental communication'

Spinkle that's not true!

working9while5 Thu 25-Nov-10 18:54:48

Great news! I am so pleased. Any decent SLT would kill to work with someone as motivated as you.

working9while5 Thu 25-Nov-10 19:09:31

And skilled, I meant to say!

signandsingcarols Thu 25-Nov-10 19:20:42

I'm sorry, I know this is probably inappropriate, blush I just have this lovely mental picture of star working the SLT so vigorously that she 'cracked' and ended up as a little pile of fragments...
and had to be swept up...

I wonder if that works for Head teachers??
grin

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 25-Nov-10 19:42:13

Message withdrawn

mariagoretti Thu 25-Nov-10 19:55:54

Having been on the receiving end of people 'making demands and challenging practice' in another field, I have to say it depends how it's done, and I'd guess you were as discreet as the facts permitted.

If the SALT ends up with a progressing child, a happy parent and a raft of new skills and approaches to reflect on and write up in her CPD file, I'd guess she'll be delighted (as I would).

I hate the 'every complaint is a jewel' c**p you get in staff training, but just sometimes it can be true.

Minx179 Thu 25-Nov-10 20:05:39

Well done Star.

Why feel awful for making demands or challenging practice? You are doing what many parents do - trying to get the best for your child. I would have thought that the better the relationship the easier the demands suggestions can be put across. As the SLT see your ds's progression the demands will not be seen as overly demanding.

Working together will also --allow her to tick her own boxes-- benefit her by allowing her to maybe alter her thinking when addressing the next child, even if she stays within the LA/SLT framework.

working9while5 Thu 25-Nov-10 20:09:41

"if you demonstrate your committment to the therapy, and instead of criticising their suggestions, build on them and ask for their professional feedback, if could just work."

This is the essence of collaborative practice, though - whether you are a professional or a parent. I could write the same about working with some teachers. I have to show my commitment to education and the curriculum (even when I don't really feel it) because you have to find a halfway meeting point. I wouldn't say that's particularly challenging: it's pretty much the way to do things effectively in partnership at this stage of your relationship. Generally, an open rather than a critical approach fosters more dialogue. Again, this is all staff training type stuff but the cliche arose from a nugget of truth.

At the moment, you've been through a bit of a storm while you fought to be taken seriously. Things are now in place for you to move beyond this a bit. You are beginning to open up to eachother's view points.. which will enable you to build trust. Once this is in place, you will be able to ask quite challenging questions in a way that might seem unthinkable now. She may do the same to you.

A lot of my best relationships have been with "challenging" or "difficult" parents, even some of whom have had cause to complain about me for one reason or another (missed appointments/slow rescheduling springs to mind). Sometimes a rocky start makes for a more honest relationship. I don't think you will, but don't feel that because you can see her point of view a bit more that means you can't continue to challenge.

skydance Thu 25-Nov-10 20:23:41

Well done star, it makes sense that you know your son best, so would be well placed to suggest the best ways to help keep him focused and make it interesting for him.

skydance Thu 25-Nov-10 20:24:47

'SALTs tend to deal with children who poor communication is down to lack of parental communication. Therefore is back to the 'lowest common denominator' thing when they discuss stuff with you'

Is that really what you believe?, is that the opinion of a lot of SLT I wonder?

I have heard this opinion expressed before, from a teacher among other sources, apparantely they see a lot of children with speech problems now and it's all down to the fact that 'the parents don't speak to them and let them watch TV all day', said previous friend then realiased her mistake, 'oh but of course not your son, that's completly different' hmmm of course. hmm

One particulary ignorant family member, upon noticing DS using some makaton signs that we had been learning, was horrified and muttered whilst shaking head 'why don't you try just teaching him to speak' confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: