Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

infantile spasms and the MMR jab

(9 Posts)
volley39 Wed 24-Nov-10 12:45:24

Hello, could anybody give me some advice as im in a dilemma! My 15 month old son was d/x with IS at seven months, after responding to Prednislone he had a relapse but after another course he's been seizure free from June. He is due the MMR, the consultant says go ahead, but im not sure, he's so well at the moment. Has anybody been in this situation, gone ahead with the jab and everything ok? Would appreciate any thoughts, thANX

1percentawake Wed 24-Nov-10 13:00:55

DD had seizures following her birth and we were also told to immunise as usual. I was worried sick but all was fine. I looked into getting the jabs done separately which is an option - expensive but maybe worth it?

Marne Wed 24-Nov-10 13:12:54

My dd2 has not got IS but i was worried about giving her the MMR (2nd jab) because of her autism, i put it off for months until the GP talked me around to going ahead with it. We ended up in A&E the next day as dd2 had a severe reaction to it, her temp rocketed and she went floppy, luckily she recovered quickly and it did not effect her Autism (no reggresion). If i had to go through it with another child i think i would chose the single jab's (i think its worth it).

IndigoBell Wed 24-Nov-10 13:29:32

I strongly believe the 3 month vaccination caused my son's autism as he had a very dramatic reaction to it.

I would say if you have any concerns at all to not vaccinate. Because if you do vaccinate and something does go wrong you will never forgive yourself.

It's very easy for the doctors to say it's safe. It's not their baby....

auntevil Wed 24-Nov-10 14:10:47

None of my DS have IS - they were fine with MMR. It was the pre-school booster that my NTDS had a reaction against. He got Henoch Schonlein purpura (HSP) which is an auto immune disease that can attack the kidney function and give vasculitis etc. even the information given by the hospital includes vaccination and immunisation as known possible causes - this is never mentioned when you go for jabs! he has never been the same well, fit DS that he was before this.

ArthurPewty Wed 24-Nov-10 14:30:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scrutler Wed 24-Nov-10 15:28:40

My daughter Poppy had IS at 7 months which was treated successfully with Pred and Vigabatrin and spasms stopped within 24 hours and no further seizures since (2 years ago now). She had her MMR as normal and had no abnormal reaction.

Not quite what you were asking but she had surgery on her brain at 14 weeks following brain injury and we were advised to carry on with her normal 2/3/4 month jabs as normal by the childrens hospital. Again no reaction.

Cx

volley39 Wed 24-Nov-10 15:29:32

thanks for all your comments, i believe as docs dont know enough about IS they can only advise its safer for jabs than getting diseases but its not good enough for me!!

DizzyBlondeBexx Wed 24-Nov-10 21:57:48

The piece of research and the Dr who undertook and peddled it has been completely discredited. Indeed I believe he was struck off.

On the other hand there is centuries of evidence that measles is a killer and its on the rise.

Please think long and hard before taking the decision not to vaccinate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now