Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Am I being silly?

(9 Posts)
2Siobhan Tue 23-Nov-10 21:13:16

Today a child in ds's class said bye to ds and said "Goodbye Mr Tumble" I don't know if they were teasing and can't get it of my mine. Ds has a sal disorder and is in reception and am a bit anxious about how he is getting on with his peers as it is something he finds difficult.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 23-Nov-10 21:29:35

Message withdrawn

anotherbrickinthewall Tue 23-Nov-10 21:39:19

oh no, exactly the sort of thing that would tie me up in knots. but rather than torture yourself about it, I would try and ignore in case a one-off, but if it happens again, then chat to the teacher about it in a gentle way, not all guns blazing.

2Siobhan Tue 23-Nov-10 21:39:19

He doesn't sign himself but the teachers may be using it with him. Think I am being sensitive today he didn't understand/notice so isn't bothering him. I had the opportunity to watch him a play time today which upset me a bit.

Spinkle Tue 23-Nov-10 21:52:55

Awwww... I could see why you feel upset. Who knows why kids say things?

A girl in my class was a peer of my DS in Nursery. I mentioned him one day to the class and she piped up 'I remember him, he was crazy and shouted a lot'
sad

I replied he was had autism and couldn't help it.

She's only 6 and wasn't being horrible just horribly horribly blunt.

It's not nice and I wish I could protect DS from the other kids, but I can't. Happily, he doesn't notice at the moment.

I also watched him at playtime - and vowed never to do it again - made me cry.

USoRight Tue 23-Nov-10 22:46:21

It may have been said in an affectionate way? I really dont think very young children would have the sophistication to use this in a sarcastic way. (I am assuming DS is young??)

After all little kids love Mr Tumble, and it could be associated with his use of Maketon.

2Siobhan Wed 24-Nov-10 01:05:02

Thanks for all your replys I just think I needed to talk about it. Dp just laughed and made a joke about ds being like Ralph from Simpsons he didn't mean it in a bad way but still not nice. I really miss nursery, he was in a language group and didn't seem as different :-(

signandsay Wed 24-Nov-10 07:04:05

Can understand your upset,

But if it helps, my ds does sign, and gets lots of attention, and Mr tumble gets brought up quite a lot, but never been meant in a negative way, as right says Mr T appears to be loved by all and sundry...

If it was older kids saying it I would be worried, but his peers have always meant it well.

mariagoretti Thu 25-Nov-10 22:41:37

Well, I have a dc in reception (the NT one) and wouldn't be too surprised to hear her say this type of odd thing or have it said to her. Does your dc have a TA who you trust and could ask to keep an eye on things?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now