Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ive just seen this linked on Facebook and im so angry........

(17 Posts)
lottiejenkins Mon 22-Nov-10 19:51:26

disabled girl is a health and safety risk says school!!!!!

bigcar Mon 22-Nov-10 19:54:38

they were on the news at lunch time and came over as a lovely family. Shame on that school, funny being high achieving they don't want a child with sen, seems it's got sod all to do with the wheelchair she uses from what I can see.

gorionine Mon 22-Nov-10 20:00:43

Do you think that if he was offering to do a speach in the school they would refuse on health and safety grounds?

I think not and agree with Bigcar.

lottiejenkins Mon 22-Nov-10 20:04:56

Well said gorione. They would put the proverbial red carpet out for him, i remember reading Dame Tanni's book a few years ago and she had the same problem at school and that was over twenty five years ago. What a shame that schools cant move with the times!!

bigcar Mon 22-Nov-10 20:16:01

thing is the school sounds quite well set up for wheelchair users, they apparently have ramps and lifts, a lot more than dd2s school can provide.

cansu Mon 22-Nov-10 20:30:41

This is quite unbelieveable. It seems so blatently discriminatory I cannot believe any school would do this. if this is a taste of what academies have to offer...

thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 22-Nov-10 20:33:02

Its a fecking disgrace.

How dare they exclude this girl because they think she 'wont keep up with her peers'.

Is this actually legal? Are they allowed to select on academic grounds like this? Its bog all to do with her wheelchair. They think she will drag the league tables down.

Is this the future of Academies and 'Free' schools?

donkeyderby Mon 22-Nov-10 21:15:43

wow, just unbelievable isn't it....I'm actually speechless

donkeyderby Mon 22-Nov-10 21:16:22

Shall we send some...helpful emails to Harris Academy?

lottiejenkins Mon 22-Nov-10 21:23:32

Im even more angry now...... this is from their Ofsted Report!! ""The academy lives by its motto, 'all can achieve'; it therefore takes every measure possible to ensure that no child is left behind, irrespective of their ability, race, ethnicity, or gender. ""

thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 22-Nov-10 21:30:34

I would really like to support this family but have no idea how to go about it. There doesnt seem to be any sort of campaign.

Its so blatant!

bensonbutnohedges Mon 22-Nov-10 22:19:44

If the school is selective then they do not have to take her if she cannot pass the entrance test.
If the building is not suitable for wheelchairs they don't have to take her they are only obliged to make "reasonable adjustments" which doesn't include widening corridors.
However on the face of it neither of those is the case so it is badly wrong.
On the other hand would you want to send your child to a school with attitudes like that?

anonandlikeit Mon 22-Nov-10 23:28:23

Just shows that inclusion is more about attitude & less about ramps & door widening.
Disgusting!

lisad123isgoingcrazy Mon 22-Nov-10 23:44:57

funny on their equal opps PDF 2010 it says "one student is a wheelchair user" hmm

love this bit too "The Academy has entry ramps as well as lifts and lower stair rails, an evacuation chair, a hoist in the toilet and trained first-aiders to assist with medical needs."

bensonbutnohedges Tue 23-Nov-10 10:08:31

Apparently early academies could set their own rules about admitting students with special needs so they might just get away with it.

elliejjtiny Tue 23-Nov-10 10:43:28

That is shocking. When I was at school there was a boy in the year above me who had CP and who used a wheelchair. If there was a fire and he was trapped upstairs there was someone who was meant to carry him out.

droves Tue 23-Nov-10 11:38:51

angry . disgusted by this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: