Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Are we going backwards or did I just not get it?

(13 Posts)
woolyxmastree Sat 20-Nov-10 22:36:58

DD (5) ASD, has previously seemed to understand days of the week but struggles with the concept of time. This week I said we are 'going out tomorrow', the next day I mentioned going out and DD still sees it as 'tomorrow'...it never becomes today. We mention activities on a 'tuesday' to give her a sense of time and structure but she just seems to forget tuesday has passed and obsesses over doing the activity on tuesday...so every tuesday. Her comprehension seems to be getting worse and she is recollecting activities from months ago...even still mentioning her birthday and party like it is every week. DD also seems to take at least a week to process activities in school, Im getting very worried that we never seem to move on, time never passes. I told her when Christmas was 6 weeks ahead but she is reluctant to move on from that...countdowns arent working. She eats breakfast then asks foe breakfast again and again all morning and gets very anxious. I noticed this week she is very pale and confused...is it regression? Is it just normal for her? We just finished antibiotics for a urine infection but she is well otherwise...I think.

We use visuals but she just doesnt seem to be learning...just obsessing and repeating. Any advice??? Am I just being a worry wort? Is there anything I can do?

Sorry for the long rant!

lisad123isgoingcrazy Sat 20-Nov-10 22:40:55

we did number of sleeps early on. TBH any regession should be looked at by doctor imo

woolyxmastree Sun 21-Nov-10 17:08:33

I spoke too soon about being well...up in the night dreaming about fireworks then had to come home early today as she has a bad headache.

Any advice welcome.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 21-Nov-10 17:10:49

Message withdrawn

woolyxmastree Sun 21-Nov-10 17:23:37

Thanks star, we have a lougle ish clock...maybe ill adapt it further and a daily visual timetable. I wanted to add a calander but we have many variables at the moment, dh working hours, appointments etc..Ill just have to work at it. She seems to learn then unlearn things...maybe its down the chaos of school, illness etc.

Ill certainly take some ideas from this.

want2sleep Sun 21-Nov-10 20:11:43

I'd get her checked at doc's ears/thoat/stomach and urine to double check no infection.

moosemama Sun 21-Nov-10 21:44:26

Hi, just had a thought.

It might be worth getting the GP to check that she is completely over her UTI.

I know one of the signs of UTIs can be brain fog and confusion, often described as resembling alzheimers (sp?). Bearing in mind that a key factor in alzheimers is not being able to differentiate the days of the week and night from day etc, its definitely worth checking whether or not the antibiotics have seen the infection off properly.

justaboutanotherbirthdaycoming Sun 21-Nov-10 22:02:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

woolyxmastree Mon 22-Nov-10 10:13:50

Well we ended up at A&E last night! DD was pale and stopped eating....she never stops eating, she wouldnt drink and then got a terrible headache and temperature. She was just crying and screaming for hours. DD doesnt usually feel pain well so it must have been awfull.

After lots of ibuprofen/paracetamol...a long wait and a portable dvd player with scooby do on she let them examine her. No infection in ears, throat or urine. Luckily she had calmed down, was feeling better and was put in bed number 4..her favourite number. The medical team assessed her but with no other symptoms it was put down to a virus....even though a virus should have more symptoms? ..they did mention her many bruises and clumsyness. hmm

At least she likes the hospital and wasnt traumatised by the experience but it obviously worries us.

Spinkle Mon 22-Nov-10 11:06:27

Hope she's feeling better soon.

My DS (6 ASD) had a bizarre virus that lasted for ages. Temperature, sore throat, off food, sore 'winky'. He seems away with the fairies (even more) during it but seems a lot better now and taking on a lot more.

Glad she wasn't traumatised by the hospital.

woolyxmastree Mon 22-Nov-10 11:16:40

Thanks Spinkle.
Im now looking into dyspraxia too...seen as the doctor mentioned it...not sure if she fits the dx though. hmm

CognitiveDissident Mon 22-Nov-10 12:57:15

We've noticed regression and obsessive/repetitive behaviour every time DS2 (HFA) is feeling out of sorts. I posted in a panic about it last month,fearing CDD,but was reassured by other posters and Paed.

As for viral symptoms, it all depends on which particular beastie she's got. Adenoviruses (random example) can cause everything from common cold, tonsillitis, UTI's, conjunctivitis, gastroenteritis, pneumonia,depending on serotype & how the infection progresses. There's often no fever or inflammation associated with minor viral infections, & with hundreds of potential candidates,it's nigh impossible to test for which one. We ended up in A&E last year with DS with exactly the same thing as your DD. (s'cuse mangled grammar/syntax, have been up since stupid o'clock with vomiting DS)

Hope she feels better soon

woolyxmastree Mon 22-Nov-10 13:15:16

I hope vomiting DS feels better soon...we had that bug a few weeks ago. Keeping her on the meds and on the sofa...dvd day today. She is still not eating or drinking much and her temp is up and down but still no other symptoms. Time will tell.

...and im squirming because I cant hoover up the floor looks nasty but DD is scared of the hoover!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now