Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADHA Assessment .... ?

(6 Posts)
coogar Fri 19-Nov-10 19:03:57

Please can anyone advise me on what this will consist of. My son is 7 and has been referred for a formal assessment with a development paed for ADHD. His infant school raised concerns over attention and concentration and now he's entered a new school, they are having their own observations carried out. I have asked for the referral via our GP as I am assuming they are going to push for this. His 'issues' aren't as apparent outside of school and we have never really felt hugely impacted by his lack of attention etc. Just wondered what to expect. Also need some help in what I will tell him .. his a bright little chap and whilst I don't want to lie, I don't want to make him feel there is anything wrong. Many thanks is advance!

mariagoretti Fri 19-Nov-10 22:56:09

The paediatrician will probably give you some questionnaires and arrange a review when they are done. If you want to speed things up you can ask if they can be issued prior to the firts appointment. Strengths and difficulties questionnaire and or connors are the most common ones. There's usually one for the parents and another for the school. If he does other activities eg beavers it might be asking for one for them as well, as the problems have to show in more than one setting to be considered relevant.

The caveat I would give is that if you have adapted well to a child's needs, you may not realise that their behaviour isn't similar to another child of a similar age, and tick the box to say 'no problem' when what you need is 'the problem is so well managed we scarcely notice it most of the time'.

Children with other disorders, or none, can appear to have adhd like traits so don't be surprised if the paed want's to gather more info or wait and see before committing themself.

woolyxmastree Fri 19-Nov-10 23:04:09

My niece is being assessed, just a note it can be a long process, they have to rule out parenting etc just to prove it is adhd...not suggesting it is but that is needed to give a definite dx. hth.

coogar Sat 20-Nov-10 10:00:09

Maria Would I go via GP or hospital paed to get questionnaire out first? I don't feel we have to manage him loads. He is lively although I don't think 'hyper' until he gets excited, then it needs managing, but even then he's able to bring himself back down, iyswim. The classroom presents him with a different set of problems. He says he's bored, but he's by no means a G&T child. He likes to have a wander and gets distracted and distracts others .. not ideal in our 'Victorian' education system sad Also loves a ;rough and tumble; but is totally aware of right and wrong hmm Thanks to both of you.

coogar Sun 21-Nov-10 12:20:32

sarahfreck Sun 21-Nov-10 19:41:45

In my experience with tutoring children with attention deficit, it can manifest as a concentration problem rather than being totally hyperactive. They are sitting still (ish) and listening but it is as if they only have a few seconds in which to take in the information, process it, understand it and try and remember it before their brain "presses the reset button" and they lose the whole thing and are reduced to guessing wildly!

I'm not sure if this makes sense but it is the best way I describe my observations

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now