Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA - Teachers report (advice)

(6 Posts)
Anna85 Fri 19-Nov-10 16:49:49

The DLA have written to the school for their input and the teacher has given me a copy! While most of it shows he needs adult attention as she has clearly stated Constant Supervision, I in my part said DS has no sense of danger!!

In the form sent to the school they have asked "Is the child aware of common dangers as appropriate to their age"? and the school as put YES with a note saying "We feel that he is probably aware but doesn't apply his awareness (or ignores it).

So do you think they would take this as I was lying or he does know dangers???

woolytree Fri 19-Nov-10 16:57:11

What a strange answer! ...doesnt apply his awareness seems to have the same result as no sense of danger to me. I wouldnt worry about it. At least they said constant supervision...so MRC!

Anna85 Fri 19-Nov-10 17:00:41

Hope so but was thinking more the LRM!!! As they don't see what he is like on roads etc so I too found that answer to be strange!!!

Lets hope that means MRC!!!

x

SparkleRainbow Fri 19-Nov-10 17:44:57

By my understanding you can not be both aware of common dangers and ignore them. He is choosing to put himself in danger then......for fun?

I wouldn't worry at this stage. It clearly says on their part that he needs constant supervision. I would wait and see what happens, if a problem arises because of their answer then I guess you can tackle that then.

Goblinchild Fri 19-Nov-10 17:51:30

My DS struggled with the realities of stranger danger issues. He could tell you all the rules, and some of the possible outcomes, had all the right answers to the questions.
In a real life scenario, he never applied any of his knowledge, would talk to anyone without boundaries, assumed that a friendly face had a friendly heart and didn't recognise if he was lost (I was always the one who was in the wrong place)
This lasted into his teens

Willmum Fri 19-Nov-10 21:13:23

That does make sense to me. My brother is autistic and from a young age has been able to tell you in some detail about how to cross the road safely, and can do so most of the time. However, if he hears a siren he will run into the road without any thought at all to see if he can see whats coming.

Even now (he's 24) we still grab his arm if you hear a siren coming as he's apt to start into the road.

He knows what he should do, so he knows the danger but in certain circumstances other things just take over and he can't act on what he knows. (He has been hit by a car before.

So its certainly possible to 'know' the danger but not be able to act on it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now