Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School ignored parental exemption for health surveillance - wwyd?

(46 Posts)
ArthurPewty Tue 16-Nov-10 18:50:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArthurPewty Tue 16-Nov-10 18:53:15

ArthurPewty Tue 16-Nov-10 18:58:52

ArthurPewty Tue 16-Nov-10 19:19:43

intothewest Tue 16-Nov-10 19:28:38

I would be too if I'd opted out of something for my ds and they'd just done it anyway-I would write to or ring the school and ask them to explain their actions- Are they good usually?I would restate in writing my wishes to opt out also.I'm not sure where I would take it then if the school's answer is unsatisfactory-to the governors I suppose -
hope you and your dd1 manage to have a calmer evening.(difficult I realise whilst spitting nails!)good luck.

ArthurPewty Tue 16-Nov-10 19:31:53

pinkorkid Tue 16-Nov-10 19:32:30

You are right to be upset. I would certainly complain as they have clearly disregarded your wishes and because it had a bad effect on your daughter (as you had anticipated). Do you remember who produced the initial opt-out form in reception? If not, I would complain both to the headteacher and the school nurse service, asking for an explanation of how their parental permission procedures failed and a reassurance that it won't happen again in future.

ArthurPewty Tue 16-Nov-10 19:36:52

ArthurPewty Tue 16-Nov-10 20:04:58

ArthurPewty Tue 16-Nov-10 21:22:46

mariagoretti Tue 16-Nov-10 21:32:41

Make sure your complaint goes to PCT's head of school nursing as well as school. If the problem is school's failure to pass on information, the school nurse service will freak (imagine the court case if they accidentally MMR'd the child of an anti-vaccination campaigner due to poor communication).

ArthurPewty Tue 16-Nov-10 21:34:12

Ineed2 Tue 16-Nov-10 21:49:33

FWIW I would be mega upset by this to, I know how it feels to not trust a school and you have every right to blow a fuse over this.

ArthurPewty Tue 16-Nov-10 21:50:56

ArthurPewty Wed 17-Nov-10 07:27:33

MissTired Wed 17-Nov-10 07:40:33

i agree with all thats bean said to be honest so nothing more to add but i cant believe they did this, i would also think about copying letter to the governors, not sure if that would make any difference but i guess it cant do any harm? hope it gets resolved and they apologise and reassure you it will not happen again

MissTired Wed 17-Nov-10 07:41:05

hows dd1 now?

ArthurPewty Wed 17-Nov-10 07:54:13

MissTired Wed 17-Nov-10 09:02:45

hope today at school dd1 is calmer and you get a response to your letter asap xxx

ArthurPewty Wed 17-Nov-10 10:00:22

IndigoBell Wed 17-Nov-10 10:14:51

I would make a formal complaint to the board of governors (and I never recommend that)

Because this is so black and white that it is wrong and illegal. The governors need to be involved.

auntevil Wed 17-Nov-10 10:17:45

I would kind of leave out the SN side on this - partly because of your previous battles with them. This is more of an issue that could affect any child in the school. What if it were a religious issue - and you had refused on the grounds of faith - would they ride over your feelings and be prepared for court case?
The school needs to be able to tell you where the system fell down. If it was human error, and someone holds their hands up and apologises, i would ask them what they will be doing to make sure that any other parents do not have similar happen.
If no-one owns up, i would ask the governors to investigate, and as maria says, let the PCT know what happened, as it may be their procedures that are at fault.
If that gets nowhere, complain to LA and PCT. Having made complaints to PCT before, they are very hot at finding out answers and shifting blame wherever they can. If it was the schools error, they would not be backward in letting you know. They just think of £££££ court case!
Hope you get some answers.

ArthurPewty Wed 17-Nov-10 13:37:04

LollipopViolet Wed 17-Nov-10 15:29:16

I'd be fuming too!

It's not the same but my mum had to write into school all guns blazing once. I'm left handed and I always have jabs, blood tests etc in my RIGHT arm, in case I have a reaction to the jab and then can't write.

So, tetanus, dip and polio jab comes round, I ask the nurse to do it in my right arm, she refuses, saying "Oh, no one reacts to this jab, it'll be fine in your left arm, and we're only trained to give them in the left" (the last bit is a bit hazy, was about 6 or 7 years ago).

So I'll be the person that reacts to the jab and has her arm go completely numb and be useless in my next lesson then hmm

Anyway, I had to have an MMR booster and my mum wrote a letter EXPLICITLY telling them she ONLY consented to the jab if it was in my RIGHT arm.

Fortunately they listened.

Hope you get somewhere, it's so wrong that they think doing this is OK!

Sidge Wed 17-Nov-10 15:37:46

Why would they be screening her in Y2?

Routine screening is only done anyway in YR and Y6.

Why did the School Health team have her name on their list? Can you phone the School Health Team and find out what went wrong and why she was on their list?

Then write to the Manager of the School Health Team and get them to check their procedures. When I was a School Nurse our HCAs only screened those on a pre-drawn-up list where consent had not been withdrawn.

Is it possible that the SHT hadn't received the refusal of consent? They tend to be collected by the school and sent en masse to the SHT, so you need to see where the error lies - with Education or Health.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: