Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What do I need to know before I go to private diagnosis for ASD for a 2 year old?

(6 Posts)
smugtandemfeeder Sat 13-Nov-10 10:15:46

Just that really? I feel a bit uninformed about the process and whether I can do anything to help the process be more sucessful.

IS there anything I need to do in advance? What can I expect to happen?

Do I need to try to get a certain type of diagnosis? I have read something on here about a working diagnosis not being much use.

I only get one shot at the private diagnosis so whatever they say on Monday will need to stick, I wont be able to go back later to ask again.

Thank you!

ArthurPewty Sat 13-Nov-10 11:51:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArthurPewty Sat 13-Nov-10 11:52:38

JoMaman Sat 13-Nov-10 23:15:45

not much to add other than I found it helpful to go through the notes the night before with DH and get his input as it avoided that awkward moment where the 2 parents disagree about an aspect of his behaviour in front of the professional and it dents your credibility (!). That being said when we saw a private neurologist she said it was v unlikely to be autism and then 3 months later the LA's autism team said he ticked ALL the boxes and they were very sure (as were we by then). hth

smugtandemfeeder Sun 14-Nov-10 10:07:25

Thanks Leonie and JoMaman.

Do you think it is easier to get a diagnosis for a toddler if the parent and grandparent also exibit the same traits?

I will make huge amounts of notes today and have been discussing with DH non-stop for a week!!

Have just discovered my sons savant ability.... He seems to know what programme is on cbeebies at any given time, when the tv is off. How on earth would he know!? How funny. He has spent the last week sitting with his face against the tv watching beebies with the curtain round him so he is effectively alone. Very ASD if you ask me. He is learning to talk from mr tumble....

ArthurPewty Sun 14-Nov-10 10:44:58

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now