Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

cranio osteopathy

(10 Posts)
skewiff Fri 12-Nov-10 23:41:41

Does anyone else try this with their children?

We have actually been going to the centre in Farringdon for 3 years now. Its become a habit and I've always liked going - but recently our therapist has left and I'm not so sure about the new one. Its a long journey for us to get there and an expense. My son has started nursery and soon will start school ...

I'm worrying about whether its all a big effort for nothing.

I've never really seen a massive change with DS just trusted that the cranio therapy is invisibly helping him. He has mild cerebral palsy and they say that as he grows there are tensions in all his muscles because he does not grow or operate evenly.

DS is doing really well - we do lots of other things too, and I've always just thought that the cranio is adding to his good health. But soon we'll have to be a bit more discerning about what we do. I've got another child on the way too.

If you have any experience with cranio or any opinions please let me know what you think.

Thank you.

streakybacon Sat 13-Nov-10 07:06:35

I did this for ds for a while (he has AS/ADHD) but it's hard to know whether it helped him at all because he was under so much stress at the time that we didn't see any improvement at all. Had the stress been relieved things might have been different, who knows.

I think it's worth a try, several people seem to have found it helpful.

Are there other practitioners in your area you could consider if you don't like the new one?

skewiff Mon 15-Nov-10 11:17:03

Yes, but they charge the full price whereas I can pay a reduced price at the place in London.

Thank you for your reply - if anyone else has experience of cranio with their children or even themselves I'd be interested to hear ...

moneytree Mon 15-Nov-10 12:15:48

My DS has been having cranio for about 3 years. The change has been amazing. He used to drool,hyperactive, frustrated & speech delay. First session he feel asleep for 4 hours after, his behaviour improved and speech came along. His practitioner also left and I wasn't sure of the new one either but carried on. Glad I did. I also did my back in and went to see her. She sorted my back out and also did some cranial on me (I have always been dubious about it but willing to try anything to help my DS). I could not stop crying afterwards (obviously needed to get out) and the stress relief was amazing. I wish you well

bubble2bubble Mon 15-Nov-10 13:03:42

I have been taking both DDs for about a year. DD1 has severe verbal dyspraxia & many other associated issues and the difference in her has been huge - her balance & posture improved dramatically and after the second or third session her bedwetting stopped entirely. Her sleeping is still not great though hugely improved. We only go about once every three months now but near the time we are due for an appointment Dd always starts asking me when we are going - as if she knows she needs something sorted out hmm

I started this as VERY sceptical but like moneytree was so impressed that I started going for myself as well. I thought I was dealing with he stress but obviously wasn't and had a lengthy list of aches & pains to prove it.It it has helped massively - can't recommend enough smile

skewiff Mon 15-Nov-10 17:47:53

Thankyou both of you. Do you go to the centre in Farringdon/Clerkenwell - London - its a charity and you pay what you can?

Or do you live elsewhere and/or use someone else.

My son is doing so so well and always seems to be improving - and very possibly the cranio has something to do with this. We do go every 3 weeks. We do other therapies so its not always easy to tell what's doing what...

I did once have cranio down the road from us and I agree it was amazing. It made me feel the most relaxed I have ever felt in my life I think. Like being on an amazingly lovely holiday. And that feeling lasted for a whole week!

You have helped me to renew my faith in the whole thing.

Thank you.

moneytree Wed 17-Nov-10 16:50:58

I live in Weald of Kent and go to Deborah Doole in Tenterden. She also works in London but I am not sure where. I used to go to Ivo von Giles who was just amazing however he moved to France

donkeyderby Wed 17-Nov-10 17:17:13

I took DS when he was tiny but I found it useless and very expensive. Sorry I can't be more positive

moneytree Fri 19-Nov-10 16:18:51

I also took my DS when he was a week old...the osteopath told me he was great and no signs of colic....my son had severe reflux & other challenges! I also thought it was a bunch of .....until a friend convinced me to see another Osteopath. I eventually took him to a recommended osteopath when he was 2 and he was shocked when I told him this. I guess it is like anything....some are amazing, some good and some bad. When they are amazing/good the results are fantastic

oddgirl Fri 19-Nov-10 17:03:44

Have to say I did with DS (verbal dyspraxia and ASD)-absolutely no help at all...quite relaxing for him but saw no improvement in any area tbh...great that some othres find it useful though-I suppose its a case of seeing what works...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: