Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

asd child school refusing

(7 Posts)
autumnsmum Fri 12-Nov-10 16:15:58

hi im wondering if anyone could give me any advice my son has autism and is in year 1 for the last three days he hasrefused to go to school i havent even been able to get him dressed , the school have offered him a sesssion with his favorite activities but he still wont go .Ihave been in contact with the local autism outreach service and they suggest bribing him ,Iam absolutely dreading monday and any advice would be most welcome

devientenigma Fri 12-Nov-10 16:47:43

sorry can't help. I have a son who has refused to go to school for the last 5 year!! He's actually done a few sessions, bribes etc don't work for him. So now come January he's being forced!! so I'm dreading January x
Although my son is down syndrome he does have dx traits of many others including asd. Profs are now thinking this needs to be replaced with an official dx. so he gets the help.

devientenigma Fri 12-Nov-10 16:48:46

sorry just meant to say I know how you feel x
just feeling down at the mo and not thinking straight.

pinkorkid Fri 12-Nov-10 20:05:16

Hi, sorry to hear you're facing this worrying behaviour from your son. We are going through something similar with our older ds (also asd). We haven't solved the problem yet, but I can tell you the type of thing that has been suggested to help him in case any of the strategies work for your dc.

- reduced timetable maybe going in only until break then mum will pick you up or afternoons only
-small group work with a couple of his known friends as well as favourite activity
- small immediate rewards for separate stages of the going to school process eg getting uniform on, getting bag ready, walking there/ getting in car nicely with promise of bigger reward for actual time spent at school eg do something fun after school
Hope it resolves itself well for you.
Is he able to articulate anything that is worrying him about school? Or have school noticed anything?

autumnsmum Sat 13-Nov-10 07:58:12

thank you so much ladies for your advice it is always reassuring to know im not the only one going through this. My son hasnt said that anything specific is worrying him at school , Ithink it may be the case that he simply prefers being at home .

lordbingham Sat 13-Nov-10 12:26:33

I think it is sadly quite common for ASD children to have problems staying in school. It is such a tiring and confusing experience and they can become very anxious.

Part-time schooling for a bit might be someothing to think about, just to llessen the stress for a while.

ommmward Sat 13-Nov-10 15:50:45

or home education. that can be a win-win for some families

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: