Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just received a letter re extra DLA

(9 Posts)
ghoulsforgodot Fri 12-Nov-10 11:06:29

Currently receive middle rate care for personal care, nothing for mobility. DS is 4 and has an ASD dx.
So this letter is talking about children aged 5 and over and "problems with getting around"
I am confused. Are they now going to review the mobility part?
Is this the dreaded renewal pack of which you all speak of?

MistsAndMellow Fri 12-Nov-10 11:21:35

I'm fairly sure that if care needs haven't changed and you're still within your award time that you can just say that and write "no change".

I spoke to a lady who has two sons with ASD and she mentioned that she was more or less automatically granted the lower rate of mobility when each turned five although that was a few years ago now.

It's getting the higher rate at three that seems to be the thing they like to limit for autistic children. The lower rate will be to do with awareness of safety and needing extra supervision rather than making little progress walking. Have a look at the Cerebra guide and see if the criteria fit your child. HTH smile

MotherEve Fri 12-Nov-10 11:57:20

DLA mobility component isn't awarded to under 5's so they send out a new form as the 5th birthday approaches so that you can then apply for their mobility needs to be assessed ... have a horrible suspicion that you may need to fill the whole lot in again ...

chocolatespread Fri 12-Nov-10 12:14:50

We received exactly the same when DS2 was about 4.6 or something to give us time to apply for the mobility element ahead of him turning 5, which is when it becomes relevant. We returned it, kept the usual DLA, and had lower rate mobility added. There is the possibility that they'll reduce the care component, but it's not likely if nothing's changed. We got a reply very quickly and they didn't een want extra evidence or anything.

NorthernSky Fri 12-Nov-10 12:20:44

Message deleted

NorthernSky Fri 12-Nov-10 12:21:43

Message deleted

ouryve Fri 12-Nov-10 12:26:34

I just got one for DS2 (he only turned 4.5 last week!) who has an indefinite award of middle rate care and the accompanying letter made it clear that he may be entitled to mobility form his 5th birthday.

I'm not going to bother with it until after Christmas, since it's so early and I've got other things to think about right now, but i will be filling in the whole thing because i am confident that his care needs are now even further removed from what is age appropriate than when he was first diagnosed over 2 years ago.

Marne Fri 12-Nov-10 14:26:25

Yes, i have just recieved the forms for dd2 who will be 5 in March, you have to fill it all in (i think). I'm hoping to get lower rate mobility for dd2 but wont hold my breath.

ghoulsforgodot Fri 12-Nov-10 14:44:40

thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now